 CAD / Development / 5709
Re: License revision 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:55:07 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message
news:lpff3tspjvsl3iuot6r29u6raqrgushk00@4ax.com...

I'd like to not have different terms for commercial and non-commercial
applications.  I don't see a valid reason for discriminating on the basis
of cost.

Agreed.

My thinking is this:  most LCAD'ish things are available in a free program.
In order for someone charge for their program, and be successful at it,
their software must have significant value above the zero-price
alternatives.  If the value isn't there, no one will buy their program, and
it will go away (either literally or figuratively).  If the value is there,
it's also likely that someone else will eventually duplicate the
value-adding feature, and start giving it away.

Good point - up until recently I have been against LCAD derivative software for
sale, but some of the points made here has changed my opinion.  Still, I trust
the decision making process here to do the best for LCAD.

5. If the library or parts of it are converted to another format then
    the source code of the program used to convert the library must
also
    be made available.

I disagree with #5 completely.

Why?  (Not disagreeing with you, just asking).  But in this case, if TLC were to
make a converter to one of their formats, this would severely restrict them.
That's one reason against this line, if I'm understanding it correctly.  I
suppose that I don't like this line either.

BTW - this license should make it as easy as possible for TLC to adopt the use
of the DAT file format to whatever extent.  I do not personally believe they
will ever use the library of parts created, but it should be easy for them to
generate a program which converts DAT and market it or make it available should
they choose to do so.

I disagree with this as well.  I think such communication should be
directed to the semi-mythical ldraw.org.

Which leads us to try to define the semi-mythical ldraw.org again :-)  Its a bit
tricky, but any suggestions?  Will there be a leadership heirarchy, or a panel
of contributors (which is an odd number) to govern LCAD?  I think that this
should be defined if this license is to go into effect.

[INSERT LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS (authors + maintainers)]

Change this to:

. Contributors:
.   James Jessiman
.   Tore Eriksson
.   Terry Keller
.   Tim Courtney
.   Authors are listed in the part files they contributed to.

I'd rather not rev the license document every time we get a new author.

Good idea.  Steve, you should put yourself in there as well, IMO.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne