 CAD / Development / 5716
Re: License revision 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:19:02 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

Note that paragraph 5 is only for commercial applications, L3P is not
subject to it.

I'd like to not have different terms for commercial and non-commercial
applications.  I don't see a valid reason for discriminating on the basis
of cost.

  I only added that because other people requested, I was happy with the
initial license. Personally I think that #4 is going to scare people
away.

Does this work slightly better?

.  4. All library contributors must be granted a full, paid-up license to
.     use the application.  A nominal fee may be required, only to cover
.     the physical act of transferring a copy of the application.

  It's better, english is not my native language.

5. If the library or parts of it are converted to another format then
    the source code of the program used to convert the library must
also
    be made available.

I disagree with #5 completely.

  Ok, it seems that a lot of people disagree with it, it will be
removed.

If you would like to use this library under other licenses, write to
the
authors to ask for permission; we sometimes make exceptions.

I disagree with this as well.  I think such communication should be
directed to the semi-mythical ldraw.org.

  What I had in mind for a contributors agreement would allow new
licenses to be negotiated directly with ldraw.org but I don't think it's
a nice attitude with the authors to do such thing.

[INSERT LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS (authors + maintainers)]

Change this to:

. Contributors:
.   James Jessiman
.   Tore Eriksson
.   Terry Keller
.   Tim Courtney
.   Authors are listed in the part files they contributed to.

I'd rather not rev the license document every time we get a new author.

  I think it would be better to have all authors in the license,
otherwise no company will agree to #4. We can simply add new people to
the list just to get more free copies of the commercial applications.

  Imagine that a .DAT importer is included in a program like 3DS or
Autocad, they cost more than $1000. It adds very little value to the
product and would force the company to give away as many copies as we
want because the list is not clear.

Leonardo