 CAD / 2692
Re: Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:41:18 GMT

John VanZwieten:

Perhaps both.

That is of cause also a possibility.

The thought of users being able to make their own
renderings is very intruiging.  Not that we'd necessarily
let just any visitor do it, but at least those who are
contributing or otherwise interested could make customized
views.

As a beginning, I could set it up as a "request a picture of
Datsville", where I process the requests once a day. The web
requested renderings will of cause have a somewhat low
priority in the fight for resources on the machine.

I envision a overhead map of Datsville with gridlines.  A
user picks x,z coordinates from the map and types in the
desired height (or chooses from a cross-section) for
camera and lookat positions, then sets the thing cranking.

Seems like a sensible solution, and it is possible to give
people almost live feedback on their chosen camera and
lookat positions through a simple CGI program.

The image is then converted to .jpg, and made available on
a web page for the user and others to view/download.

Yes. - Somebody (you?) should have access to add comments to
the pictures, when they are made available.

Play well,

Jacob

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --
      --  Web...:  <URL:http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/>  --