 CAD / 2685
Re: Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:32:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> writes:
What do I have to do to make this happen?  I'm willing to give it a try.
What options are there for uploading files to www.ldraw.org?  Is there
an html editor there, or do I have to make changes on my machine then
upload?

Hey John,

If you wanted a really quick & simple way to make updates, we could make you
a special /cad/datsville/ area on www.lugnet.com and you could use the new
page editing system.  For example, I put together this demo page in about 10
minutes -- all from online forms via the web browser:

  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville

(This is just a demo, not intended to rip off John's copyrighted text and/or
images...I'll take the page down triple-pronto if John has any issues with
it!)

Oh I have "issues" with it all right!  I want it!  It looks so much nicer than
my well-intentioned attempts at html.

The source for this is here:

  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville.ftx

and the source for the subpages, which are included on-the-fly in the main
page, are here:

  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville-19990908.ftx
  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville-19990903.ftx
  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville-19990902.ftx
  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville-19990901.ftx

If you think this sounds intriguing, we could very easily set up a
subcategory of /cad/ called /cad/datsville/ and you could create whatever
pages you wanted there (you'd have editor permissions for that directory).

Lemme know!

Lets try it.

--Todd

p.s.  The only snag is that there's no way yet to do imagemaps, but by the
time there are 50 houses, it might get pretty tough to do even in raw HTML
anyway.

My plan for the imagemap is to have a standard overhead view, so that the
locations of the current buildings stay the same each update.  Then I just
have to add mapping for new buildings (and vehicles, if I'm really insane.)

But I could just keep this part on my current account and link to it.

-John Van