 CAD / 2688
Re: Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:45:36 GMT

John,
I'm am still interested in importing the town dat file into Lightwave.  I've
been using Lightwave recently to make some simple studies of various lcad
models, and I'd be interested in making a fly by or fly through animation of
Datsville.  You can upload the file to me if you are interested or I'll wait
and see if you make it available.  I have had some trouble rendering some large
models due the large number of points that some of these models contain.  Is
there a way to remove interior points from the model in one of the Lego CAD
programs?  I've used some of Lightwaves point removal features, but it hasn't
always been enough.
The ftp link can be found at my site:
http://home.austin.rr.com/prj/PLSCP.html
Later,
Pat J

In lugnet.cad, John VanZwieten writes:

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk> wrote in message
Todd Lehman:

[ ... ]

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville

[ ... ]

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?p=datsville.ftx

This is pretty cool.

Now I am not sure if I should suggest John move to Lugnet or
ldraw.org.

Hmmm???

It should probably be Lugnet. The only thing I have offered
that you haven't is basically a bit of CPU time.

Perhaps both.  The thought of users being able to make their own renderings is
very intruiging.  Not that we'd necessarily let just any visitor do it, but at
least those who are contributing or otherwise interested could make customized
views.

I envision a overhead map of Datsville with gridlines.  A user picks x,z
coordinates from the map and types in the desired height (or chooses from a
cross-section) for camera and lookat positions, then sets the thing cranking.
The image is then converted to .jpg, and made available on a web page for the
user and others to view/download.

Then of course there's always VRML.

-John Van