 CAD / *30325 (-100)
  Re: Lego XML?

(...) ... (...) Let me expand on that. An XML color can be an abstraction that is defined somewhere else. So the attribute color="red" can mean LEGO red in the LEGO namespace, but some other red (like 0xFF0000) in the XHTML namespace, for instance. (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

"Jacob Sparre Andersen" <sparre@nbi.dk> wrote in message (...) How about this? pnmtops(1) pnmtops(1) NAME pnmtops - convert portable anymap to PostScript SYNOPSIS pnmtops [-scale s] [-turn|-noturn] [-rle|-runlength] [-dpi n] [-width n] [-height n] (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  LDraw -> EPS (Was: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available)

(...) No it isn't. Bitmaps with Z buffering are much easier. (...) It sounds like I should spend more time looking at the source code for LDGLite. (...) I'm really too busy to do any work on it now, but I wouldn't mind knowing where to look, if I (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

(...) Yeah, but I don't think it's trivial to convert from 3D LDR format to EPS. That's the problem. There are plenty of ways to Convert from a 3D format to a 2D representation suitable for printing, but most of them involve rasterization at some (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

(...) But aren't we all interested in being able to make nice compact printable versions of our building instructions? IMO EPS and PDF are ideal formats for that. And since it is reasonably trivial to convert EPS to PDF, it makes sense to make the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

Hello Cary, The test on Sun's pages only tells you that the java vm is installed, not that the "applets" in the browser are handled by the java plugin. In IE you can specify a java applet in 2 ways: you can use the <object (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) I probably ought to reveal that I expect that I could easily get both a Danish and an Italian digital signature, which it would be non-trivial to show referred to the same person. Play well, Jacob -- Jacob's LEGO trains: (URL) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) That's raises an interesting moral and ethical dilemma: Is it morally acceptable to support the LXF format? Do you think anyone will boycott it? (...) Aren't millions of copies of USENET articles dating back to 1994-5 documentation enough? (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) I don't know if anyone's done an age study, but that sounds about right. (...) Which end? ;-) (...) Is it mine in the sense that I can legally implement the same method in another file format? (...) Naturally, part of my job at LUGNET is to (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Honestly, I don't see any benefits for the LCAD community in supporting the LXF format, unless the LXF format is so many more light years ahead of the LDraw format that the effort of supporting LXF would be miniscule compared to the benefits. (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) I can't speak for the others who are excited about the possibility of creating a BrickML, but to me it kind of seems like a logical successor to the LDraw file format, given that it could handle meta-data elegantly and do everything that the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) More on this post tomorrow, but a couple of quick answers. By compete, I just meant that our DD software isn't meant to compete with, say MLCad. It is designed for use by kids around the age of 7 or 8. MLCad, I would assume, doesn't really (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Ldraw.Org Spec 1.0.0 Page

Since I'm tired of people saying 'I don't like this format' or 'Could please post in this other format' or 'I hate MS so can you make it plain text', etc... I made a Lugnet page for the file format. (URL) it over. Note your suggestions. I'm still (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Not at all offended. I knew there would be some questions and concerns. There have been a number of things raised that I will work on getting solid answers for, since I'm not well versed in the details of this project. Before much of this (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) Is there a problem that any of these technologies will solve, or any new practical capabilities that they will add, or is this another exercise in geek supremacy? :-) I'm hopeful that the file format committee won't unnecessarily complicate (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

In my opinion, what killed the community's enthusiuasm for working with LEGO was LEGO's intention to patent the file format (and complicate it to do so.) Since then, LEGO has obtained a government monopoly on CAD that is so broad, it could even be (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Oh! That's interesting! The upside of thisof course is that at least some of the LXF format -is- documented. That's good. Hmm, I wonder which countries LEGO has obtained this patent in, or if it's even enforceable in the U.S.? Does anyone at a (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Printable parts list/Lego visual dictionary?

(...) Yes, look here. (URL) don't think it has a color chart, but I've often thought that would be a nice addition to the first page. I usually end up scribbling one on the paper myself after I print it. Enjoy, Don (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) I also hope you're proven wrong, but the presence of an NDA would seem to indicate otherwise. Either way, I'm willing to work on cross platform tools if the Digital Designer software is more popular with my kids than Creator was. (...) I don't (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) But, whether or not it's meant to compete, it will compete, won't it? Or will it have such a limited parts selection that only kids would want to use it? What about the more complex powerful LEGO building tools mentioned below? Won't those (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Ya, that would be a lot like Adobe's approach to PostScript. It's a closed language in that Adobe has decreed that they are the official purveyors of enhancements to the language, but it's an open language in that it's extremely well (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Ok, maybe things have changed. Originally TLC was talking about releasing parts as files. My understanding is that they have three "quality" levels of parts: high quality, medium quality, and low-quality. The high quality parts are what their (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

This is great timing and I'm very encouraged by what you've outlined here. I'd like to throw in my "me too" post about supporting other platforms in addition to Microsoft Windows(TM) and that the LXF spec be publically documented. It's reasonable (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Ldraw File Format Version 1.0.0

(...) I'm not able to read RTF files easily. How about just posting it here in plain text format and we can respond to it directly? --Todd (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) 1 0 0 0 1)"/> (...) Wow, that is pretty cool. A person could write a 20-line Perl program to transmogrify that into .ldr format pretty easily, and vice-versa. (...) Waycool. BTW, how do people feel about specifying colors in hex RGB format? (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) format -- the ultimate in text file elegance -- replaced as the de-facto standard for exchanging models online, but an XML-based approach might actually be able to handle a functional superset of .ldr, .mpd, .dat, and .lxf files. If we (the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Moving LDraw.org permanently to Peeron?

(...) I'd be happy to mirror those files on the 3 web sites that I run : ) -JSM (21 years ago, 30-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Ldraw File Format Version 1.0.0

(...) Oh, I almost forgot. Add 'Add MPD Spec' to the Todo list. -Orion (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) That's another possibility, yes. The LUGNET server could generate a cryptographically signed string and e-mail this to a user, who could then cut and paste the string and submit it to the ldraw.org server, which would then decode the string (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) I can think of two ways... I'm sure there are probably more. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- One way is for a member at LDraw.org to declare their LUGNET member id in their LDraw member record and to validate it by declaring their LDraw id in their (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) Well it would certainly require support from Lugnet, but I don't think it would require validation of the password - just a confirmation email to the Lugnet registered email would be good enough I think? ROSCO (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Ldraw File Format Version 1.0.0

I started work on this in the middle of March when our meta command discussiob was raging. I'm not even half finished but I like to put this out for review while I work. (URL) have a problem reading this let me know and I'll send you a copy in (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

(...) Cool. Now if I could just get Netscape7/Mozilla to use the JDK I installed (which has J3D) instead of the one that came with it. Grrrr.... -Kyle (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) Looked fine to me. I only use a monospace font. :) (...) I see. I know nothing about X3D, but I imagined a model might be something like you describe. However, theoretically the part files the model referenced could (I think?) be coded in (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

(...) I take all this back. I just went back to your website and everything works. Strange. -Orion (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

(...) No, it's just I misspelled my address. Try bill with 2 l's -Orion (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

Hmm Your Yahoo accoutn doesn't like you. :P (...) Even when you download them? The getting *any* applet to work these days, with all the different Plugins, and JDK's, and browsers can be a real pain. You may have JDK 1.4.1 and Java3D 1.3 may be (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) Well actually I was thinking more along the lines of describing a model in terms of it's parts, but not a full 3d description like X3D. Something like this (sorry, this looks terrible without a monospaced font): <?xml version="1.0" (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: MLCAD Drag and Drop Stacking

(...) Oh, thanks, Kevin. I am very new to MLCad, sorry. I know that was a bit of a dumb question, but what I meant by it was how do I get a plate to stack on top of another plate. Thanks anyways! Matt C. (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

(...) I have J2RE 1.4.1 and Java3D 1.3 installed and I can't seem to run the program or the applets on your site -Orion (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) FWIW, the VP at TLC who is quoted as saying this actually ended up leaving TLC not too long after the 7 Dec 2000 press release. On 18 Mar 2001 (101 days later), a Bang & Olufsen press release announced that Sørensen had left LEGO and would (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) I know VRML was mentioned earlier, and now XML. Someone may want to look at X3D (I think that's what it's called.) It is a newer relative of VRML for 3D graphics done in XML. I haven't looked at it myself, but I hear about it all the time on (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Lego XML?

(...) This must one of the slowest threads ever - 3 posts in over 4 years :) Exciting stuff. I also worked on this myself about a year ago. I had big plans and then got tied up with work and school. I created a sourceforge project, but only produced (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

Would you be able to add a BOM generator? The current version allows for a BOM, but only after rendering all of the steps. When I am in a hurry, I like to print a graphical BOM, grab the pieces I need and build the model later when I have more time. (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

(...) I know I know... just razzin ya >;-) I love the stuff you've come out with so far. It's nothing short of revolutionary for the LDraw community. Please, keep it up! -Tim (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Oooh. I had forgotten about that. If this option of ordering the elements needed for a design were included in the package, I would suddenly develop a better liking for CAD... :) (...) Software in general, as I have noticed, tends to be (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Is this the program announced three years ago? "And in 2002, we will begin a program where LEGO builders will be able to build any three dimensional creation using free software to create building instructions for their model - and then order (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

(...) ... I couldn't get it to work either. I installed Sun's Java, and if I visit that site, it says "Congratulations, it's installed". But if I run the Java compatibility test, IE 6.1 draws the gray square, and says "Applet failed to load", Opera (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

Lots of good comments, this is very exciting stuff, ne? (...) Those aren't the only two alternatives. It could well be closed (changes controlled by LEGO only, rather than by a standards committee) but still well documented rather than (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) [...] I'm excited about the progress, and thankful for your sharing the news with us, Jake. It's good to know that TLC/LD continues to take into account the adult community's dreams and hard work, while planning for their future. -Suz - Yet (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  another workaround for the single part model color problem in l3p

Hey I have just found another work around for the known color problem with l3p when converting a 'single part model' to pov. After I have created a part I want to see how it looks like when rendered in the actual brick's color. For colors 0 - 16 the (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) myself. (...) can (...) But that membership number would have to be validated with a password to know that it is any good. The numbers are easy to find. Validating the number against the password would require support from lugnet. Do you think (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

(...) Tim, I'm not going to put your individual need ahead of features that are useful to all. So quit bugging me about EPS or I may *never* do it ;^) It is no where near the tops of my list. (...) Thanks! (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst)

  Re: new user installation summary

"Amy Hughes" <lugnews@amyhughes.org> skrev i meddelandet news:HE3uC5.1H18@lugnet.com... (...) create (...) administrators, (...) but not (...) security) (...) There's more than meets the eye! File (and directory) permissions in Win2K seems to be (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) By that I assume you mean true ABS. <grins and smirks> Nothing beats the real thing for complex and powerful... IMHO... Seriously though, I think what you are announcing here is great for the future of the community and its ability to further (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) I don't think LXF is going to be a parts format, it sounds like it's a way to exchange models only (think of it as LDraw with only type 1 lines). Out of curiosity, how do you plan to solve the problem of different parts library having parts (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Sounds great! (...) Have you considered following that spirit all the way and making the software open source? I know that's a big step, but other big companies have done the same with great success. I'm particularly concerned that this very (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

(...) Perhaps Digital Designer could offer third-party "plug-in" capabilities (import/export) for reading and writing LDraw files...similar to the way Adobe Photoshop works. But having some command-line tools to do the conversion would probably be (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Moving LDraw.org permanently to Peeron?

(...) Me too. (...) Nod, nod. (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) That's okay. I recognized that pretty quickly. Organizations need long term visions as well as short term. Hopefully the short term solution easily transitions into the long term stable solution. Otherwise, we may be seeing this same sort of (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Announcing LEGO Digital Designer 1.0

All, I would like to take this opportunity to announce a cool new project many years in the making. I hope you find this as exciting as I do. == A new LEGO building application == LEGO has been making building software for many years now (like LEGO (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.lego.direct) !!

  Re: Problem with account

Damien Guichard <damien.guichard@wanadoo.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HE2p0D.JEC@lugnet.com... (...) Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure if the PT is offline or my account is disabled. So some parts have to wait for submission. Bernd (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

Hi Anders - (...) This verification discussion was based on the assertion in the thread that proving a unique identity to prevent vote spoofing was important. So, the suggestions made were proportioal to the concern expressed. That said, seeing that (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> skrev i meddelandet news:HE2B42.17Jp@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) Rules me out. (...) Rules me out. (...) the (...) No way. Rules me out. I think you are a bit paranoid about this, but maybe you have other (...) (21 years ago, 28-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) Same here. (...) I agree here as well. Alternatively, the postcard idea could verify non-LUGNET members. Those opposed to ID as validation have generally accepted the postcard idea in its place. -Tim (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Moving LDraw.org permanently to Peeron?

(...) just for the record, we're ok with this. (...) I think this is currently taken care of - the 3 files that accord for ~70% of the traffic are hosted on a different server that can handle the traffic. (...) I think that would be the case for any (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Moving LDraw.org permanently to Peeron?

(...) I'm positive towards the idea. Dan has been very helpful thus far, and Pair is a reliable ISP. -Tim (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Moving LDraw.org permanently to Peeron?

What does people think about moving LDraw.org permanently to Peeron? I have discussed the problem a bit with Dan and Jennifer and they seem to be positive towards the idea, as long as we can distribute the heavy traffic (downloading the complete (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) that would work with me, if everyone accepts the risk. (...) I wouldn't want to require LDraw members to be LUGNET members. Dan (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) Well, I would agree, I meant to mention I was thinking of that as a medium/long term solution. Sorry about that. (...) If you use the Passport (or really any other similar system, I just can't think of names off the top of my head) concept, (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

Quoting Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com>: (...) I don't see a problem with email validation until it becomes a problem, myself. Alternatively, we could require a LUGNET membership number unless anyone disagrees with that idea, so far I've (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Translating MLCad

(...) Okay. I just changed labels in .dll I've translated. Thanks Rob (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

(...) I'm really looking forward to this :-) I regret that I haven't had the time recently to play with the new LPub. I should download it on my spare machine and play there. I can't wait to see the new features you have in store! (ahem, EPS output, (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst)

  Who can vote for the LSC? (was: Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org)

(...) I pretty much agree with you. I'm not 100% sure if the latest draft proposal explicitly states this or not. My original thought was along these lines as well. An observation, if I may... I've spent quite some time talking about this LSC (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: new user installation summary

(...) not that I'm a windows native, but you can look at the registry permissions using regedt32.exe. Has anyone tried to run LSynth and LPub using wine, btw? Dan (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) I think that the privileges would need to change as you move from site to site. Peeron and LUGNET have blanket memberships: every member at these sties pretty much has the same privileges (as far as I know, only admins and moderators have (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: new user installation summary

(...) <snip> I'm also a unix geek, so permissions in that world are well understood by me. <snip> Windows is like hostile territory :-) *like* !?!?! Kevin (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

Sorry, it's my fault. I'll try to explain thinks better and change the page. What I can tell you right now is that you don't have the required java vm plugin installed in your browser - probably MS IE. Microsoft ships MSIE with his own (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Significance of stud orientation

(...) - - - - | | | | - - - - | | | | Play well, Jacob (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

(...) Interesting idea but you may want to provide a little more assistance to people on getting it running, like giving links to the prereqs for major platforms if you know what they are. I pressed the compatability test and got a grey area and no (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: new user installation summary

(...) In Win2K (and later versions, and probably earlier NT versions) you can create multiple user accounts, and users are members of groups (e.g. administrators, users, guests). File permissions is something I'm familiar with in Unix but not (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) Yes. But we really want to avoid ballot stuffing, personally identifiable information is needed. So either we have to give up on preventing ballot stuffing, or on not exchanging personally identifiable information. For the brain-storm: * (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: new user installation summary

(...) I don't even know what this last one means :^), but I'm glad you got them all working. Now you can take a risk and go for LPub 2.2 ;^) (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: new user installation summary

(...) I installed POV-Ray 3.1g, and now LPub and megapov run fine. The changes I made to the LGEO files (adding semicolons) to make them compatible with 3.5 work fine with 3.1. And with 3.1 I don't have to remove the version number that L3P puts in (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

(...) I meant this example: (URL) Kevin (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst)

  LPub 2.2.0.0 Available

In the previous version of LPub I released some prototype new features for creating "callout" images, which are images of small assembly contruction, all tiled together into a single image, like this: (URL) this (URL) above callout image generation (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst)

  JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files

Hello All, It's my first time posting here, but I just didn't know how to show to the public my program, a 3d viewer / editor for LDraw files. Please let me know what you think about it. It is written entirely in java, so it should be ready to run (...) (21 years ago, 28-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) just a few thoughts: * the LSC is a technical body * the new file format worked out by the LSC will effect the work of part-authors and programmers. conclusion: * honestly I can't see a reason why people who have never authored a part or wrote (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) I like this idea a lot. Who cares about the instant gratification aspect. I say that if you want the ability to vote, you have to care enough to wait a couple of weeks. -Orion (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: The big question

(...) Right. While I don't presume to know what he would do, I see the need for organizing in order to more effectively develop and promote the hobby. I've talked with Don Jessiman (his father) several times off and on over the last couple years (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) I'm confused. I find your conflicting statements very conflicting. I think it's time to call the question. What level of validation do you (and Jenn, for that matter, since she voiced a negative with no positive offered) think we need? What (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) How so? At least among Peeron, LUGNET and ldraw.org (in it's new reconstituted form with members) all that presumably would need to happen is for you and Todd to agree, ne? (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) I thought of implementing something like that a while ago - except that it seems that it would require more cooperation between the different sites involved than is currently available to draw upon. Dan (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) my only problem, is since I know what "reasonable care" is, it's really not much. (...) I'm not sure I believe in "privacy provisions" - since it's in lawyer talk, it's usual not possible for the average user to actually know what they say - I (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDRAW.org is back ... kinda

(...) right - until we synch all the tracker data from the old site to the new one, we've locked the tracker. (...) I believe Steve is working on it right now - so the answer is RSN :) Dan (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) Sorry to respond to my own post, but it would be simple to automatically generate and check the confirmation codes. Just create a hash of the person's info along with some "salt" This is easy to do with gnupg : ) Have a program generate (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) I think the letter idea is the best one yet. I was going to post something like this last night, but you beat me to it. :P It's analogous to Lugnet's membership packet, but less intensive to administer. Even a post card with a unique text (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Significance of stud orientation

(...) I can't remember if I checked or not when I initially implemented this. Does LDView orient the stud logos the same as L3P (for non-mirrored parts)? Also, don't forget that LDView automatically detects mirrored studs and mirrors the logo back (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Switching from BITMAP/JPEG to PNG

I've decided to keep the original two formats and add a third. Processing of the new layout layer of LPub must be done in either bitmap or PNG, because composite images made of JPEGs end up having the barground color change all over the place. I can (...) (21 years ago, 28-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst)

  Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org

(...) Which brings up an interesting point... a single sign-in/membership system for the community at large, similar to Passport or similar. Something that provides a single solution for all organizations/sites that might need to do something (...) (21 years ago, 28-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact