Re: Moving LDraw.org permanently to Peeron?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:18:32 GMT

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:12:50PM +0000, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
What does people think about moving LDraw.org permanently to
Peeron?

just for the record, we're ok with this.

I have discussed the problem a bit with Dan and Jennifer and they
seem to be positive towards the idea, as long as we can distribute
the heavy traffic (downloading the complete parts library) to more
servers.

I think this is currently taken care of - the 3 files that accord for
~70% of the traffic are hosted on a different server that can handle the
traffic.

I am interested in making the temporary transfer permanent, since
I find it impractical that we depend on a server, which nobody in
the community has physical access to[1].  Since the web-site is on
its way to be converted to a content management system, this is a
sensible time to decide on moving the site.

1) Technically this is also the case for Peeron, but there there
   are paid technicians with physical access.

I think that would be the case for any location, unless you want to host
off someone's home DSL link, or someone that works at a datacenter.  I
believe the physical access to the box is not as important as being able
to have someone push the button for you (if that's what's needed) at 2am
in the morning - which we can currently do.

Dan