 CAD / 9803
Re: new user installation summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:21:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague writes:
In lugnet.cad, Amy Hughes writes:
I got LSynth to run by moving my user account into the administrators
group. It appears that although the permissions look okay, LSynth
won't run from a group other than the one that installed it.

I don't even know what this last one means

In Win2K (and later versions, and probably earlier NT versions) you can create
multiple user accounts, and users are members of groups (e.g. administrators,
users, guests). File permissions is something I'm familiar with in Unix but not
Windows, but the perms for LSynth (right-click the app, properties, security)
look okay to me. I installed LSynth as an administrator (a user account in the
administrators group) and I could only run it as a user in the admin group.
This either means it was installed with some restrictive permissions setting
that I'm not aware of (and which admin accounts ignore), or perhaps for some
reason only members of same group as the installer can run it, or perhaps it
has something to do with the registry, of which I'm totally ignorant. As I
said, I'm a Unix geek. Windows is like hostile territory :-)

Now you can take a risk and go for LPub 2.2 ;^)

That callout feature looks really good. I'm not yet ready to create
instructions, but I'll grab the latest.

Thanks,
Amy