 CAD / 9769
9768  |  9770
Subject:
new user installation summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:17:30 GMT

Okay, I'm new to ldraw stuff, and fairly inexperienced on the PC (I'm a Mac
person, and a Unix geek by prefession). I built a PC specifically for ldraw
stuff. Here's a summary of my progress...

I installed ldraw and mlcad according to instructions found in miscellaneous
places, as ldraw.org was down. MLCAD works well.

I bought the book "LEGO Software Power Tools". I did not install from its disc
since I already had an MLCAD installation, and I wanted to make sure I got the
most recent versions of the other programs. This may have been a mistake.

I've gone through the book over the weekend. I've gone through all the
tutorials for programs I have working, and read the material for programs I
don't have working. Here's the list of successes and failures...

MLCAD, L3P and POV-Ray work well, LGEO parts and all, though I had to make some
changes to the LGEO files to get it to work with POV-Ray 3.5...

1) I commented out the line that forces version number 3.0, since 3.5 was
complaining that at least version 3.1 was necessary.
2) Version 3.5 wants semicolons after declare's, so I added them.

These are the programs I can't get to work, as described in requests I've
posted here...

LSynth, megapov, LPub

The Power Tools book is an excellent resource for the stuff I got working. It's
a bit wordy and redundant, and contains a number of minor errors, but it
probably saved me a bunch of time experimenting and digging through online
documents. And by reading the book first I avoided the "hey, I didn't know it
could do that" element that has been written in reviews of this book, though
I'm sure there's still more undocumented. For one, the book didn't fully
explain the group configuration options. I was pleasantly surprised to find
that a couple un-mentioned programming-isms worked (quotes and parenthesis) and
disappointed that combining features didn't work (e.g. !Round> ).

Definitely worth $40. Now to go build stuff...

Amy