 CAD / 9785
Re: new user installation summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:35:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague writes:
In lugnet.cad, Amy Hughes writes:>>

The Power Tools book is an excellent resource for the stuff I got working. It's
a bit wordy and redundant, and contains a number of minor errors, but it
probably saved me a bunch of time experimenting and digging through online
documents. And by reading the book first I avoided the "hey, I didn't know it
could do that" element that has been written in reviews of this book, though
I'm sure there's still more undocumented. For one, the book didn't fully
explain the group configuration options. I was pleasantly surprised to find
that a couple un-mentioned programming-isms worked (quotes and parenthesis) and
disappointed that combining features didn't work (e.g. !Round> ).

I'm sure *all* the wordiness, redundancy and minor errors are in MLCAD
chapters, right? (I'm being sarcastic!) Miguel wrote the MLCAD chapters. I
wrote the lsynth, L3P/POV, and LPub chapters.

GRRRR! Actually, I'll happily take that criticism =8D ... Here come the excu
... cough! ... explanations: wordiness and redundancy are, at least in part,
a side effect of reaching out to all audiences: beginners, regular users and
experts.

Errors in the library groups configuration options are attributable to my
interpreting of the following Michael Lachmann post

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/mlcad/?n=943

In general, when it come to errors and corrections please notice that
Syngress has quite a nice post-sale support program for their products,
including their Lego books. Corrections are posted online and there are ways
to ask questions to the authors directly, although you can also try reaching
them in Lugnet ;-)

Incidentally, MLCad 3.0 was released shortly after the Powertools book came
out. Some stuff might have changed and a lot has been added with the new
version - which I strongly recommend upgrading to.

Definitely worth $40. Now to go build stuff...

Thanks Amy.

Thank you! This is absolutely the best possible outcome that I can think of
- I'd be mortified if any fellow Lego fan felt somehow cheated by our book.
Some readers have requested more depth in certain areas (i.e. rendering) and
I am trying to come up with some time to follow up on that.

Miguel