 Announcements / 2063
2062  |  2064
Subject:
LPub 2.2.0.0 Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:11:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In the previous version of LPub I released some prototype new features for
creating "callout" images, which are images of small assembly contruction,
all tiled together into a single image, like this:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/LPub/left-leg_1_00_co_0.jpg

or this

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/LPub/right-leg_1_00_co_0.jpg

The above callout image generation can be specified in your LDraw file with
just a few new LPub meta-commands

I obviously want to be able to do what LEGO does with their building
instructions, so I've been working on this kind of capability:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/LPub/right-leg_1_00_co_0.jpg

This new image, created with version 2.2 of LPub supports nested callouts,
multiple callouts per step, as well as placement of Part list image with
respect to the construction step image.  Also you can place the step number
relative to either the part list image or the step image.

You have control on the background color used for different sub-model
levels.  You also have font control for step numbers used when generating
callouts.

You have lots of different margins to control spacing between images in the
final composite step picture.  Where possible, distance between pictures and
locations within pictures are expressed in scalar terms, where 0,0 scalars
represent pixel 0,0 (upper left corner of the picture.) 1,1 scanars means
the lower right corner of the picture.  This way if you change resolution of
your generated images, the relationships should scale nicely.

The document on these new meta command scan be found on my lLPub website
http;?/www.users.qwest.net/~kclague.

This is just the next step of additions and improvements that wil make
puhlishing layout easy.  I've yet to introduce the concept of actual page
size, which is the next issue.  When generating building instructions for
Matt and Tim's magazine, they are going to want to be able to control the
layout on a page basis so that things look consistant from page to page.

None the less, we're one step closer to being able to do what LEGO does with
their building instructions