 CAD / Development / 8882
Re: LPub 2.2.0.0 Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:38:11 GMT

My point was that EPS is not as generally useful as say, a page layout
mechanism.  The step layout controls that I just released are very cool, but
when you try to do something like this:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8042/8042-01.jpg

with multiple steps packed together, the current mechanism does not look good.

Try using the hidden meta-command:

LPUB MULTI_STEP BEGIN
// multiple steps in here
LPUB MULTI_STEP END

which was a prototype for the above desired mechanism and you will see that
since the part list images are different widths, the assembly images are
nowhere near lined up columnar.

Adding PLI placement and step number placement the way I did was easy, but does
not really help make step images cohesive from step to step.

I want to be able to do everything that LEGO can do in their building
instructions, and as of now that is my first priority (although getting PNG
support and the BITMAP/PNG/JPEG issue sorted out is being worked.)

Just let me finish the page layout mechanisms and then I can work on things
that *I* deem less important.  I'd like to working on making the PLIs more
compact, now that we're rendering the parts at an angle.  This involves making
mask so we can tell background from foreground, and determine overlap and
margins.

I can tell you that Tim nagging me about EPS (joking or not) *is not* a way to
motivate me to get something done.

There are a huge list of things I want to get done with LPub, and much of it is
based on valueable user input, and there is only one of me.  Nagging me can
take the fun out of it.

Once something makes it on the list http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/~1527, I see
no value in the same person mentioning it twice.

I must have been asked a dozen times by different people to add N last used
file support to the menu mechanism.  I doubt anyone opens files with LPub more
than me, but you what?  I think that page layout controls and packed PLIs are
more important.  So I get to implement things in the order that *I think* is
most important.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague writes:
In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:

(ahem, EPS output, ahem) ;-)

Tim, I'm not going to put your individual need ahead of features
that are useful to all.

But aren't we all interested in being able to make nice compact
printable versions of our building instructions?

IMO EPS and PDF are ideal formats for that.  And since it is
reasonably trivial to convert EPS to PDF, it makes sense to make
the program output EPS.

Play well,

Jacob
--