 CAD / Development / 8875
Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:59:18 GMT

Hello Cary,

The test on Sun's pages only tells you that the java vm is installed, not
that the "applets" in the browser are handled by the java plugin. In IE you
can specify a java applet in 2 ways: you can use the <object
classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" bla, bla> tag or the
<applet> tag. The <object> tag is used by the sun test page, while my page
uses the plain <applet> tag. From here the differences. The object tag
indicates to a specific version of java, while the applet tag will use
whatever java vm is currently active in your browser. And since you see the
gray square, it means the Microsoft VM is still the active one.

You can check which is the active vm in IE in Internet Options -> Advanced.
Here you'll see between other options, a check box with Java (Sun) and
another with Microsoft VM. Make sure that the Sun one is checked.

Now considering also the experience of Orion, it is possible that you only
have a problem with the browser cache. Try to restart the browser and go
back to my page.

Last, the application you can download from my site does not need a browser
! So, if you have java and java3d installed as is specified in my release
notes, you can run the application even if the browser don't want to display
the jdraw3d applet. The jdraw3d applet is only to demonstrate online the
capabilities of the program.

I should have been more carefull when showing the site to the general
public. Until now I only showed it to the people on the java3d list and it
was obvious that they didn't have problems with it. I haven't thought that
others will have problems setting up their java environment. Sorry again for
the inconvenience. I'll make a link to a "problems" page, where I'll explain
all these things on my site.

Kind Regards,

Florin

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.cad.dev, Florin Herinean writes:
Sorry, it's my fault. I'll try to explain thinks better and change the • page.
What I can tell you right now is that you don't have the required java vm
plugin installed in your browser - probably MS IE.

I couldn't get it to work either. I installed Sun's Java, and if I visit
that site, it says "Congratulations, it's installed". But if I run the • Java
compatibility test, IE 6.1 draws the gray square, and says "Applet failed • to
load", Opera 6.0.4 says "Applet crashed", Netscape 4.7 fails as well.

I'm running Windows XP SP 1.

Cary