 CAD / Development / 8901
Re: JDraw3D, another Viewer/Editor for ldraw files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 08:29:50 GMT

Hi Cary,

I'm sorry to say that, but my app, being based on Java3D requires 3d
hardware support for rendering. That means that it runs well on GeForce and
Radeon graphic cards series, but not so well on software renderizers.

Regarding the first run, the application is compiling the .dat files to an
internal format more suitable for 3d rendering. During compilation, the
program analizes the .dat files and generates strip meshes out of individual
triangles and quads, then generates normals for every vertex. This process
can be time consuming in low end computers which doesn't have the necessary
cpu power, but it is done only once ! Another reason for slow first time
specify in jdraw3d.ini the path to a local representation of the ldraw
parts/primitives repository or the files were *downloaded* from ldraw.org ?
If it was the later case, then your internet connection speed may have the
biggest impact, since it has to download a lot of files.

About the difference in materials, it's obvious that you don't have hardware
support for them. What you could see is that "rubber" materials doesn't have
specular reflections at all, and that's more visible with dark materials
(black), while "metal" materials displays reflections on it and it works
best with light materials (white, lightgray).

The "delete" options have not been implemented yet, as are many other
options that, for the moment, are only in my mind.

About general performance, it depends on your hardware. Here are some
figures for my testing machines using CAR.DAT model:

- P3 600 MHz, S3 Savage/IX graphic card (8MB), Win2K, laptop: 4.6 frames per
second (FPS)
- P3 800 MHz, GeForce 2 MX (32 MB), Win2K: 27 FPS
- P4 1.5 GHz, GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (128 MB), WinXP: over 100 FPS, limited by
the screen refresh rate.

I think Kyle McDonald have also obtained good performance on his SunBlade
graphic workstation, but he is playing in another league :-)

All my testing machines have at least 256 MB of physical memory installed.

Well, overall I thing my program works well on today hardware. I think that
you can't find now a new computer in the electronics shops which doesn't
have *at least* P4 2.4 GHz, 256 MB memory and GeForce 4 MX graphic cards.
I'm sorry to say that it doesn't work so well or it may not work at all on
older hardware which doesn't support 3D graphics.

Kind Regards,

Florin

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.cad.dev, Florin Herinean writes:
Hello Cary,

The test on Sun's pages only tells you that the java vm is installed, not
that the "applets" in the browser are handled by the java plugin.

Hi Florin:

Somehow I missed the Java 3D part of the installation. There are two
choices, DirectX and OpenGL. The DirectX couldn't find a suitable driver • on
my system, so I installed the OpenGL (presumably software-only) solution. • I
got your application running, but it's a bit slow. When I first ran it, I
couldn't tell if it was rendering or just hung up.

I got the 'car' model drawing; it looks nice, though. I like the 'hide' • part
ability. I tried adding a part to the model and that worked fine, though
again a bit too slow for me to use interactively. I also couldn't figure • out
how to delete a part once added, but maybe that capability hasn't been • added
yet.

Also, I never saw a difference in the color when I chose 'metal', • 'plastic'
or 'rubber'. Not sure what I did wrong there.

Cary