 Announcements / 543
542  |  544
Subject:
LUGNET streaming news client in Java 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 19:53:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey all,

I've just uploaded a streaming news client for LUGNET, which I've written in
Java 2 (JDK 1.2).  It doesn't use any external Java classes!  :-,  It's
downloadable from:

http://www.io.com/~jsproat/lugnet/table_streaming_news.jar

To run it with JDK 1.2, type:

java -jar table_streaming_news.jar

The source and an example config file (not necessary for execution) is
available here:

http://www.io.com/~jsproat/lugnet/table_streaming_news.zip

Assumptions:
o  Java version 1.2.x is installed and the environment is set up properly.
It might run on 1.1.x, but I still haven't been able to test in that
environment.  This version makes heavy use of javax.swing.JTable however,
which was kinda flaky in older versions of 1.1.x.
o  NETSCAPE.EXE (or /usr/local/bin/netscape or whatever) is in your PATH.
This isn't necessary to view messages, but it is in order to reply to them.
o  Performance is still non-optimized, though the Thread priority has been
bumped down to MIN_PRIORITY.

Changes from previous incarnations:
o  No non-Sun classes.  :-,
o  You can set your preferences in a config file -- see
tableclient.preferences in the ZIP file for an example.
o  The core classes have changed slightly.  I have implemented a new class,
sproat.lugnet.news.streaming.Tidbit , to represent a news message.  This will
break incarnations with the previous API, but I wasn't really happy with the
old API anyway.

If you want to give it a swing, or if you're just plain adventurous, please
download it and try it out.  And please, LMKWYT!

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society