 Administrative / General / 5483
5482  |  5484
Subject:
GUI LUGNET streaming news client in Java (Was: Pseudo-streaming live news (was: Re: Monitor Page))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 02:13:13 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

[reposting and crossposting to .geek to get a wider audience]

[f-ups to .geek]

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
For general review, the app:
http://www.io.com/~jsproat/lugnet/text_streaming_news.jar
and the source:
http://www.io.com/~jsproat/lugnet/text_streaming_news.zip

I have updated these, and added a couple more:

http://www.io.com/~jsproat/lugnet/gui_streaming_news.jar

...and the source:

http://www.io.com/~jsproat/lugnet/gui_streaming_news.zip

Changes:

-  The very first update takes the latest avid.cgi message number and
subtracts 20 from it and starts reading messages based on *that*, ensuring a
full view from the startup.

Additions:

-  The GUI version.  :-,  To use it, download the file gui_streaming_news.zip
and unzip it, and run the run.bat file (modifications may be necessary based
upon your path info.)  It pops up a window which displays the new messages,
and will launch Netscape with the message URL when you click on its link.  (1)

Assumptions:

-  JDK 1.2.2. on Win32, etc.  JAVA.EXE is in the PATH.  Environment variable
JAVA_HOME is properly set.  News from any platform combo is welcome.

-  NETSCAPE.EXE (or /usr/local/bin/netscape or whatever) is in your PATH.

-  GUIClient is really just a proof-of-concept class to demonstrate
sproat.lugnet.news.streaming.Listener and sproat.lugnet.news.SkipFilter .
Basically, it's showing what kind of client you can implement in fewer than
150 lines of code (most of it GUI).  Having said that, it should serve as a
fairly useful, if simple, streaming news client.

-  Performance isn't a design issue at this point.  A few methods (e.g. the
StringTokenizer-abusing function GUIClient.searchAndReplace()) can definitely
use some streamlining.

-  If you want to change the parameters, rewrite and recomile.  Sorry.  :-,
It'll eventually have a means to load Properties from a file at startup, and
to modify and save them during execution.

So, please use it, get mad at it, tell me what you don't like, and most of
all, LMKWYT!

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Note:  GUIClient uses the Ice Browser Bean Lite (Swing) v4.08 from Icesoft
for HTML rendering; a copy is included in the .zip file for reference
purposes.  The Ice Browser 4.x license allows free use of the Bean for
non-commercial use.  Here's the software homepage:

http://www.icesoft.no/ICEBrowser4Swing/index.html

Since the Ice Browser Bean supports cookies, I'm not ruling out the
possibility of posting messages from an internal browser instead of launching
an external program, based upon the input I get from y'all.

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society