 Off-Topic / Geek / 1463
Re: GUI LUGNET streaming news client in Java (Was: Pseudo-streaming live news (was: Re: Monitor Page))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 06:37:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
That's if we can get a rating stream!

I thought the message scores would be in a message header, but it appears
that it's stored elsewhere.  :-/

The ratings are actually meta-data separate from the actual messages.  (The
message headers and bodies are constant but the ratings change over time.)

What I need to figure out before serving a rating stream is how efficiently
updates could be logged and subsequently served out.  You'll want to be able
to say something like, "send me all of the composite ratings which have
changed since, oh, 9538291032 epoch time," and have it immediately spit back
a list of articles and up-to-date their ratings (and maybe also with some
raw data if you want to build histograms).  And then it would also tell you
its current clock time so you could call it again later with that value.

--Todd