 Administrative / General / 5398
Re: Pseudo-streaming live news (was: Re: Monitor Page)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:26:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
[snipped everything about the pseudo-streaming stuff]
Cool!  I didn't reply to this sooner, because copying the example client
code, pasting it to a file, and running it through perl pretty much
exhausted my Perl knowledge.  I must play with this some more.
yah, it's very cool - I modified it quite a bit here to have messages pop up
to my screen, and to be able to tell it which message to start at, either by
number or relative to the current one...  I plan to add an option to have it
start by date/time, that way I can tell it:  show me messages that arrived
since 5pm yesterday :)

I'm working on a Java client.  I've nailed down the basic functionality of a
text-mode dumb client in about half an hour.  Dang, it was easy.  Thanks, Todd
and Suz!  :-,

My client is fairly modular and extensable.  I'm using a callback interface for
the consumer of news items, so that changes to the client engine are minimal.
This would allow many types of GUI interfaces; e.g. an applet using AWT for the
majority of Java-enabled browsers, an application using Swing for the really
cool whiz-bang interface, etc.  I intend to have either GUI being capable of
Way Cool.  :-,

Anyway, I hope to have the source code available Real Soon Now.

Cheers,
- jsproat