 Off-Topic / Geek / 1438
Re: GUI LUGNET streaming news client in Java (Was: Pseudo-streaming live news (was: Re: Monitor Page))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:14:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Dan Boger wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Was the cold response the result of my presentation, or did the app just bite?
sorry, man, can't try it out - it requires java, which mozilla does not support
yet.

Good point.  I wasn't clear enough.

This does not require any browser support of Java.  Instead, it's a Java
application which periodically *launches* Netscape (could be any browser,
regardless of Java support).

heh, that occured to me...  while I dislike java, I'll give it a shot :)

Heh, it'd be cool if we agreed on APIs, since then my client could connect to
your server, and vice versa.... no?

I've only been doing pure client stuff so far.  I've been holding off of the
middle-tier API until someone could come to a consensus on what form it should
take.

What kind of middle-layer solution do you have in mind?  Some ideas I've had:

o  Mirror the avid.cgi API.  An endpoint client could talk to lugnet.com or a
middle layer with impunity.  Additionally, middle layers can talk to other
middle layers, kind of like chaining HTTP proxies.  Benefits could include
message caching and pre-endpoint message filtering.  Drawback:  middle-layer
servers need to implement at least a subset of HTTP.  (I like this solution
the most.)

yes, but in that case, you increase the delay from the time the message is
posted, and the time the client displays it...  it'll be 2-10 minutes, assuming
the 1/5 min delay that Todd's original script used...

o  Client opens an socket to the middle tier, and keeps it open.  Thinking of
something like a one-way telnet session.  Messages are sent until the socket
is closed.  Benefit: telnet becomes a client.  Drawback:  probably
difficult-if-not-impossible across a firewall.

nod, that would be faster, and you could open it on any port, practicly...  of
course, if your firewall only allows port 80 through, you'll have to run the
middle-tier as root, or use a port-proxy...

From my end, either way is equally viable based upon what code I have already
written.

and I could work with either way, just becuase I do intend to start from
scratch...  :)

Dan