 Off-Topic / Geek / 1436
Re: GUI LUGNET streaming news client in Java (Was: Pseudo-streaming live news (was: Re: Monitor Page))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:05:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
bite?
Probably because it requires a little more than "point and click" to get it
working, and we're all lazy? :) Seriously though - it is pretty easy to make
java apps into applets (and have the same source code for both), why not add an
init(), and make it into an applet?

I thought about that.  Due to the in-browser JVM's security model, the applet
can't open a network connection to any server but the one it was served from.
IOW, the client applet wouldn't work unless it was downloaded directly from
lugnet.com .

or, have it connect to your spooling message server...

That's if we
can get a rating stream!

I thought the message scores would be in a message header, but it appears that
it's stored elsewhere.  :-/

nope, though Todd said it's possible to have it in the avid.cgi output...  I
was thinking of how we could remotely vote...  perhaps if there was a cgi on
lugnet that would accept remote votes, authunticating with the same code that's
on the cookie...  then to vote, the newsreader will have to send something like
"GET
http://www.lugnet.com/news/vote/?lugnet.off-topic.geek:1434&vote=100&ID=<cookieinfohere>"
and it'll vote for you...

that make sense?