 Off-Topic / Geek / 1434
Re: GUI LUGNET streaming news client in Java (Was: Pseudo-streaming live news (was: Re: Monitor Page))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:51:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dan Boger wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Was the cold response the result of my presentation, or did the app just bite?
sorry, man, can't try it out - it requires java, which mozilla does not support
yet.

Good point.  I wasn't clear enough.

This does not require any browser support of Java.  Instead, it's a Java
application which periodically *launches* Netscape (could be any browser,
regardless of Java support).

I'd love to see what it does, if only to get ideas for the perl streamer
I'm working (slowly) on...  I haven't really done anything since I got it to
work - pop up news messages on my screen as they appear, with no need for a
browser, and no clutter to my mailbox.

This, essentially, is what my TextClient does.  I implemented GuiClient so
that messages can be picked out of the stream and opened.  I used a 3rd-party
HTML browser component so that I could insert hyperlinks into the message
stream display.

Hmmm...I could add an internal browser to my client, which would remove the
dependency upon Netscape.  It'd be easy to code; the only complication would
be that the user's cookies would have to be set up again to use the internal
browser.  I initially chose to avoid this, because the user would presumably
already have the cookies set up in Netscape.  But lemme think about that.

Heh, it'd be cool if we agreed on APIs, since then my client could connect to
your server, and vice versa.... no?

I've only been doing pure client stuff so far.  I've been holding off of the
middle-tier API until someone could come to a consensus on what form it should
take.

What kind of middle-layer solution do you have in mind?  Some ideas I've had:

o  Mirror the avid.cgi API.  An endpoint client could talk to lugnet.com or a
middle layer with impunity.  Additionally, middle layers can talk to other
middle layers, kind of like chaining HTTP proxies.  Benefits could include
message caching and pre-endpoint message filtering.  Drawback:  middle-layer
servers need to implement at least a subset of HTTP.  (I like this solution
the most.)

o  Client opens an socket to the middle tier, and keeps it open.  Thinking of
something like a one-way telnet session.  Messages are sent until the socket
is closed.  Benefit: telnet becomes a client.  Drawback:  probably
difficult-if-not-impossible across a firewall.

From my end, either way is equally viable based upon what code I have already
written.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society