 Off-Topic / Geek / 1432
Re: GUI LUGNET streaming news client in Java (Was: Pseudo-streaming live news (was: Re: Monitor Page))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:48:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Wow.  Not one reply.  Two people (including myself) gave the original message
a score of 100, though.  Did anyone download and try the client?

I did, although I was too ashamed to admit that I couldn't get it working..
(linux)
I tried (actually, I'm in win at the moment so I can't remember the exact
filename names!):

$ java -jar gui_streaming_client.jar

(couldn't find the ice html classes.. so I downloaded the bean and tried:)

$ java -jar gui_streaming_client.jar bean_thingy.jar

Which gave me the same error.. then I downloaded the src and tried that, but
got the same error.. then I got a bit too busy and had to give up!

Was the cold response the result of my presentation, or did the app just bite?

Probably because it requires a little more than "point and click" to get it
working, and we're all lazy? :) Seriously though - it is pretty easy to make
java apps into applets (and have the same source code for both), why not add an
init(), and make it into an applet?

Actually, I do think this app rocks (even though I haven't seen it yet!).. but
we can finally implement and prototype some of those features *on the client
side* that Todd doesn't have time to play with. Eg. Any number of post-rating
views (time-based, total votes, unaminous votes... if we wanted :) That's if we
can get a rating stream!

Richard