 Administrative / NNTP / 586
  A letter to Todd

Todd, Let me start off by saying I respect all the work and effort you have put into creating this site, it truly is a great site, and I DO love your site! I have from the first time I came here, nothing will change that. And I know this is your (...) (23 years ago, 17-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) You certainly don't know that the vast majority feel that way. You know that about 10 to 12 highly vocal people are complaining and about 4 or 5 generally quieter people are agreeing. (...) Now as in the moment -- not now as in going forward. (...) (23 years ago, 17-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Te only thing I said was clear that was people agreed with you. And the vast majority was a reference to the people who were in on the discussion. (...) Yes, that is exactly what I said, did I misquote you or twist your words? No, I did not do (...) (23 years ago, 17-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) I can't speak for the "majority of us", but I for one do not see how you could assume that the majority of the lugnet community believes that what Todd has done is wrong. Personally, when things are agreeable to me, I speak very little of it. (...) (23 years ago, 17-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) <snip everything> (...) Plesae note the title of this post, if you feel one way, great - but please post it on another thread. The vast majority of your post had nothing to do with anything in my post. And it was not an open letter. There is (...) (23 years ago, 17-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Absolute BULL. They are being punished, as you dropped the rules into place without a SOLUTION to help meet those rules. You just counted on external forces to handle it. Step 1 - Plan a rule Step 2 - Be nice and plan a solution to the rule if (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Just who do you think you are? If you want to talk to Todd, email him, especially if you do not want others to reply. Personally I wish you would shut up about LEGO's rights on LUGNET unless you have something constructive to say. Such as (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Mark Papenfuss, thats who I know I am, never claimed to be anything official, or anything more than Mark Papenfuss. Were you unclear about who I am? (...) If you have been paying attention, Todd's response rate is below 50%, he is a busy man - (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) A vast majority of a minority is a lesser minority... I still think you're overlooking the reason newsgroups are "grouped". If I want to read about a particular subject (be it Lego offers, trains, or how many AFOLs have "Lego friendly" pets), (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Mark, settle down. You're being a bit too demanding here, even though you might not see it. You posted a public letter, so you should expect others to reply. If you didn't want other replies, then don't post publicly. You can't get upset when (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) True, point taken - I was more to borrow a word "grated" that the reply had really nothing to do with the post - I know it would be impossible to keep people posting a reply to it, and posting that would only make people reply more - which it (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Todd, You probably wanted to just let this blow over, but I bet you could have spun the change more aggressively and avoided the uproar. I read your note. I didn't like it. I waited. I think that after reading your stuff -- but only when (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Uh oh. Now the uproar is going to continue because you're only allowed to profane on LUGNET if you're in the good graces of the powers that be. And you're not. So I predict your posting privs will be yanked and you'll scream about being (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Mark, you posted a message to a public discussion group (several actually). If it was not meant to be an open letter, then perhaps you should have sent it directly to Todd via email. I do not think it was appropriate of you to inform Henry (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) I second that! And add Suzanne's name there too! :] (...) Yes Mark, they do have "some real power". I'd rather not drag this major incident up, but I feel it is relevant---some may have forgotten it, and others may have never heard about it: A (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) I'm with you on that. My only regret on this is not having made things clear to Brad and his people ahead of time. I have sent an apology and I hope there are no hurt feelings. --Todd (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Todd was not making an assuption. As certain people here have made a rather big point of lately, Todd and I talk offline frequently- about a great variety of topics, including LEGO and Lugnet. Recently, while talking offline, the subject of (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

Hmmm. Quite a way to get involved in this, and thus far I have been kind of nuetral...rather been juggling opinions for the past few days, pretty good persuasive writers here :) But, I somewhat believe this right here is the core of the debate and (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) They were taken from random threads, at the time I posted it there were appx. 175+ posts to that thread - and you see the small range the quotes were taken from - 475 thru 524 -and that includes whatever non topical posts were made in the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes: (eric j) (...) Debating? I said many times I was not debating with anybody, if it was a debate, then I would have moved it into the debate thread. Maybe this was your first mistakes (of a few) in assuming (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Kyle D. Jackson writes: <snip> (...) THANK YOU! This really did explain more to me than everything else combined. Now if this had been posted 2 or three days ago, it would have been even better, lol!! But really - Thank you. (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Just a couple of nits to pick: One, TLC can't "pull rank," although I'm sure that's not literally what you meant. Two, editorial control was not exercised, so "censor" isn't really accurate. --Todd (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Hardly assumptions. Predictions based on how you have conducted yourself in writing. As far as I'm concerned, whether or not you ARE a 13-year-old, everything you've said tells me that you wish to be treated as if you are a 13-year-old. (...) (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

Oh, Todd, don't get into THAT argument again ;-) You deleted articles. That's censorship to any sane individual. You were right in doing so, but quit trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - it will still be a pig's appendage to anyone with (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Large portions of it. (...) BTW, I should clarify what I wrote when I said "I read everything" above. I meant that I _had read_ everything (on this thread), not that I _do read_ everything. In other words, the word "read" above that I was (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) As somebody looking in form the outside, maybe I can be a voice of reason. So here it goes; What you made were assumptions, you assumed he is a thirteen year old. If you do not know something and take a guess you are making an assumption. You (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) On that note, perhaps you would find it useful to some of the things you have said in recent memory: (URL) "That has to be the lamest excuse I have heard." (URL) "I will answer this with the same bs that is being thrown at us:" (URL) "I am not (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Yeah, I wasn't really happy with either of those two phrases. For "pull rank" I just meant that TLC will not hesitate to execute actions required for their business, and depending on how they do that, it can be pretty unpleasant for the rest (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3ab3ab27.200292832@...et.com>... (...) merit (...) and (...) talk (...) (lugnet.Lego.*) (...) directly (...) I personally despise these marketing driven toys that manufacturer's are coming up with. Pokemon, BIONICLE (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) This has been explaind to you time ( (URL) )and time ( (URL) )again. If you choose not to listen then that is your call. But this is really getting stupid and old, if you really want to use a word to judge somebody then fine - be closed minded (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Rose, I'm not positive what it is you're asking, but if it's whether the marketing aspects of Bionicle had anything to do with the decision to rigidize policy constraints on official LEGO postings here, no, it didn't. It just helped it happen (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) I'm not going to address whether or not you were acting like you were thirteen, such a discussion can only be insulting either to you, thirteen year olds, or both. But you weren't "polite and respectfull." Note Todd's examples and there were (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Thank you. On your way out, would you care to apologize to everyone for your use of profanity here last night? --Todd (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) See, you put me in a spot that I am sure I will get bashed on no matter what I do here. If I do post here, I will be re-entering a thread I said I was out of, and If I do not reply then it will be used against me as I refused to apolisize. So (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) To each his own. We all should be VERY grateful to Todd and Suzanne for all they have done. Shame on those who have nitpicked what Todd has created for all of us to enjoy. When I came ot of my dark ages and discovered LEGO trains, I was (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Mark Papenfuss writes: <snip a whole heap of well gathered information> I'm preferring to take a very simple approach. It's Suzanne and Todds site. We're participants, but not the authority that regulates this site. If Lego is (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) You know, you have a good point here. I also generally take the popular media to be my arbiter of good taste, moral authority, and, by and large, a reliable measuring stick of normative and appropriate behavior. Thanks for clearing that one (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Hmmm. That'd be Perl, right? 8?) ROSCO FUT: .off-topic.fun (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Good one! That would be my guess too. Or else Minn-ah-SOT-en. ++Lar (23 years ago, 20-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Nice try. --Todd (23 years ago, 20-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Todd, You just can't say "OK" or "thank you" can you? Mark did what you asked from him, even though it was unnecessary and not really called for, but yet he did what you asked. I would, without a doubt, say he is the bigger man now. You have (...) (23 years ago, 20-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Hmm...why does there always have to be a why to everything? (That's a philosophical question, not a blunt retort.) (...) Weren't established with that in mind, and still aren't. To put it another way, if all these groups were just now being (...) (23 years ago, 21-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) No, it's completely outside of my abilities. Moreover, I'm too much of a jerk and a loser ever to say that...much less to mean it. (...) "Nice try" is my most-polite-as-possible response to what was an all-too- obvious attempt at (...) (23 years ago, 21-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes: <snip> (...) hehe, a little more than I was looking for. But it did make me smile :) I do see what you are getting at (and no, I am not taking that comment seriously) (...) <snip> (...) I think that is up to (...) (23 years ago, 21-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A letter to Todd

(...) Not much of an apology. I hear all sorts of nonsense on TV. However, I have to sense to know what is on TV is not necessarily right or wrong. Basically, I rely on my own (corrupt?) values to let me know what is right or wrong - not TV. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 21-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)