 Administrative / General / 6703
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 11:56:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

There was a time when I thought the only person who could come up with
something to meet most, if not all, of my auction/selling needs would be Todd
and LUGNET and I begged for the opportunity to sell my stuff through some sort
of LUGNET/AucZILLA interface.  I'd still be interested in the possibility, but
there are more opportunities for doing this sort of thing now ... and more
than one on the way.

Yup. Sometimes there is a lot to be said for getting things exactly perfect by
a horde of tiny changes and limited trials, but "better is the enemy of good
enough" and even in the hobby game there is such a thing as first mover
advantage. AucZILLA doesn't have it any more, unfortunately, although it did
once. First mover advantage is hard to overcome if you have it. Consider what
would need to be done to overcome Brickshelf's position in the scanned
instruction "market" or even in the "post your own pictures in a gallery
without a lot of fuss and bother" market. Practically unassailable.

Also I have reason to suspect that the way AucZILLA is implemented makes it not
very amenable to anyone other than Todd running it, anyway.

So while a good auction service can be a source of revenue to someone or some
set of someones, it already is. LUGNET should focus on the other parts of
the commerce puzzle that are hard and that no one is addresssing.

My opinion, anyway.

++Lar