 Administrative / General / 6677
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 20:04:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Let's please not make a big deal about this.  Scott used the wrong tense
of a verb, that's all, and as a result he accidentally made a false
statement.

I have no intention of getting involved in semantics here, but I'd just
like to say that I 100% did not mean that LEGO 100% funds LUGNET. If anyone
thought that this is what I meant - oops.

I knew what you meant, and I didn't think you meant 100% funding.  It's just
very important to me to correct an ambiguity for something so important.

In my mind, your statement "Lego funds Lugnet" (false) implied that LEGO
has funded, funds, and continues to fund (at least in part) LUGNET -- and
that simply isn't true.

Rather, LEGO (or more accurately, BradJ on behalf of LEGO) has made a one-
time financial contribution.  There may be more in the future, or there may
not.  Brad has said (I quote from memory) "...and I think it won't be the
last," which implies that there _may_ be more in the future, but at this
point, Brad's contribution is the first, the last, and the only contribution
from LEGO.  Thus, it isn't correct to say "funds" in the present tense.

If, on the other hand, LEGO were to begin making periodic or even sporadic
but multiple contributions, then I believe it would be correct to say "funds"
as in "does fund," with details of course.  To date, the total membership
payments and all other donations (including Brad's) account for somewhere
between 7% to 9% of what it has cost (in time, resources, and labor) to get
LUGNET to this point so far.  That isn't to say we aren't incredibly grateful
for what has been contributed financially by others, but until the membership
numbers are up in the thousands, it's still done at great personal sacrifice
(but a labor of love, naturally! :).

What this shows that words can very easily be interpreted in different ways
by different people, and it is important to be clear and unambiguous. :-)

Indeed!  :)  :)

Best,
--Todd