 Administrative / General / 6673
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 19:41:32 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:FuM8At.4sJ@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
[...] According to the _The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English
Language, Third Edition_ it means "One that contributes something, such • as
money, to a cause or fund."  The most applicable definition of the verb • fund
from the same source is "To furnish a fund for."  So, when someone give
money to LUGNET (or to Todd and Suzanne for LUGNET) they are funding • LUGNET.
Period.

The tense of the verb is critical.  A statement indicating that someone
"funds" (present) or "is funding" (present participle) something is very
different from a statement indicating that someone "funded" (past) or "has
funded" (past participle).   Both of those in turn are very different from
a statement indicaing that someone "has contributed funds" to something
(only the latter being truly accurate in this case).

I do not want to turn this into an issue,
It seems to already be an issue; I would judge from the responses of • Todd
and Dave.

Let's please not make a big deal about this.  Scott used the wrong tense • of
a verb, that's all, and as a result he accidentally made a false
statement.

I have no intention of getting involved in semantics here, but I'd just like
to say that I 100% did not mean that LEGO 100% funds LUGNET. If anyone
thought that this is what I meant - oops.

What this shows that words can very easily be interpreted in different ways
by different people, and it is important to be clear and unambiguous. :-)

Scott A

but my point was that the Lego
donation, I assumed, was used to fund the further development of • Lugnet.
Further to that, because LEGO does support LUGNET in this way, as you
also do, it does "support"{1} Lugnet - as you also do?

Clearly.

In my mind, there is no evidence yet that "LEGO" (the entity, e.g., the
company as a whole) supports LUGNET morally or otherwise.  I do know that
Brad Justus of the LEGO Direct sub-company of LEGO has made a financial
contribution to LUGNET "on behalf of the LEGO Company."  I must of course
take this at face value since it is not yet evident that LUGNET is • anything
to LEGO Direct beyond a chosen avenue for test-marketing its early plans.
Thus, let's try not to blow this single donation all out of proportion.

--Todd