 Administrative / General / 6669
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 19:18:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
[...] According to the _The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English
Language, Third Edition_ it means "One that contributes something, such as
money, to a cause or fund."  The most applicable definition of the verb fund
from the same source is "To furnish a fund for."  So, when someone give
money to LUGNET (or to Todd and Suzanne for LUGNET) they are funding LUGNET.
Period.

The tense of the verb is critical.  A statement indicating that someone
"funds" (present) or "is funding" (present participle) something is very
different from a statement indicating that someone "funded" (past) or "has
funded" (past participle).   Both of those in turn are very different from
a statement indicaing that someone "has contributed funds" to something
(only the latter being truly accurate in this case).

I do not want to turn this into an issue,
It seems to already be an issue; I would judge from the responses of Todd
and Dave.

Let's please not make a big deal about this.  Scott used the wrong tense of
a verb, that's all, and as a result he accidentally made a false statement.

but my point was that the Lego
donation, I assumed, was used to fund the further development of Lugnet.
Further to that, because LEGO does support LUGNET in this way, as you
also do, it does "support"{1} Lugnet - as you also do?

Clearly.

In my mind, there is no evidence yet that "LEGO" (the entity, e.g., the
company as a whole) supports LUGNET morally or otherwise.  I do know that
Brad Justus of the LEGO Direct sub-company of LEGO has made a financial
contribution to LUGNET "on behalf of the LEGO Company."  I must of course
take this at face value since it is not yet evident that LUGNET is anything
to LEGO Direct beyond a chosen avenue for test-marketing its early plans.
Thus, let's try not to blow this single donation all out of proportion.

--Todd