 Administrative / General / 6671
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 19:33:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
b) Lego Funds Lugnet

LEGO does not fund LUGNET.

Well what did they fund with the payment they gave? It thought it was for
Lugnet? (Accept that you may not wish to divulge this.)

"LUGNET is grateful for the generous gifts of its donors, which help it to
thrive, grow, and offer new and exciting information and services."

Sounds like funding?

Two statements are shown below.  One is true and one is false.

(1)  Lego Funds Lugnet  (***FALSE***)

(2)  Brad Justus, on behalf of the LEGO Company, made a financial donation to
    LUGNET in April, 2000.  (***TRUE***)

So what did they _fund_ with their donation? Does the donation not indicate
that they support the aims of Lugnet, and endorse it as an entity? Or do they
have a record of giving donations to organisation whose aims they do not
support? The welcome statement, is not 100% clear in my opinion. It does not
have to be 100% clear, in my opinion – I just think it should be.

“Note: LEGO has recently made a "no strings attached" financial donation not
believed to constitute sponsorship or endorsement in the legal sense.”

I have not seen anything which substantiates this statement – but I have not
trawled through all the posts on this subject.  I am not even convinced that
the words above have any different meaning in a “legal sense” – but I am open
to persuasion this.

Scott A

--Todd