 Administrative / General / 6716
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 18:56:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
I think it is also fair to say that any major investment (time and/or
money) in parts auctions may be rather short sighted given that Lego
Direct is about to be thrust upon us. I very much doubt LD will be all
some people are hoping it will be, but right now it is a unknown quantity.

I agree on the second part.  On the first part, I believe that no matter how
much of a part of daily life LD ever becomes, people will always still be
finding LEGO sets on clearance or deep discount and will see it as worth
their while to buy these clearance items, keep selected parts, and sell the
rest to help cover their costs.  I think this will continue to happen even
if LD ends up offering a wide range of parts -- the only unknown in my mind
in terms of this sort of thing is where prices would land over time.

Agreed.  My first parts sale, for example, enabled me to get blue 3x3 corner
slopes, as well as a selection of other useful parts, for about $0.0025 each.
Compared to the minimum $0.50 each I've seen them for elsewhere (or compared
to any reasonable price LD could offer), it was well beyond "worth my while".

Also, IMHO, no matter how varied LD's offerings become, they would cripple
themselves to try and compete with 3rd party clearance resellers/set-bursters,
because, simply put, the 3rd party has lower costs.

<FUT market.theory?>

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.