 Administrative / General / 6678
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 20:28:13 GMT

FUT to l.o-t.d

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

So what did they _fund_ with their donation?

Why do you insist on being so dense?

I really take exception to your tone and wording.  The fact is that you're
wrong.  Plainly.  Painfully.  And then you have the unmittigated gall to call
someone else dense.  I think it is you who simply don't get it.

Many people, including myself, have explained the difference between funding

Many?  The difference hasn't been explained because the difference is
incorrect.  I tend to agree with Todd's precise analysis in
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=6669 where he points out that the
difference between one and several donations is the critical point seperating
'funded once' from 'funds.'  By that definition, LarryP could be said to fund
LUGNET.

and donating to a cause.  Yes, *in spirit* Brad Justus and Lego Direct would
seem to "support Lugnet".  No, in a *financial sense*, they do NOT "support
Lugnet", which would imply they were paying all expenses.

Absurd!  Ludicrous!  Consult a dictionary.  And if you're to go back to the
"the dictionary isn't a legal reference" argument, I'd have to point out that
I'm speaking English and not legalese.  I'm not arguing the fine points of
charity law, I'm just talking about the regular every-day meaning of these
words.  And I'm right.

This seems to be pretty clear to most people.

I didn't realize that you were most people.

Sorry if this seems reactionary and mildly rude.  I've toned it down before
sending.

Chris