 Administrative / General / 6707
Re: May-June 2000 Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 13:29:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

Also I have reason to suspect that the way AucZILLA is implemented
makes it not very amenable to anyone other than Todd running it,
anyway.

That must be alterable.  I've done a little code hacking...not real programming
like so many of you have/do...and I know that it can be a lot of work.  But I
also know that it can be done.

So while a good auction service can be a source of revenue to someone or some
set of someones, it already is. LUGNET should focus on the other parts of
the commerce puzzle that are hard and that no one is addresssing.

Maybe so.  But I have to assume that the bulk of a working auction service is
already there, since we're all using it.  And I know by watching that AucZILLA
gets better prices than many (most? all?) other venues for parts.  Neither my
hand-run auctions, nor my eBay auctions generally get the prices that Todd
does.  Why?  I suspect it's partly because it's so easy to use and partly
because he was there first (at least in a big way).  It takes me as much time
to bid on 200 lots at AucZILLA as it does ten on eBay.  And, my money goes to
LUGNET instead of somewhere else.  I can't be the only person who lets that
'cloud' their purchasing decisions.

And I acknowledge that you know more about business and (probably) especially
e-business than I do, but it still seems that way.

I think it is also fair to say that any major investment (time and/or money) • in
parts auctions may be rather short sighted given that Lego Direct is about to
be thrust upon us.

I doubt it.  It sounds like they will offer some parts, only in large
quantities, and they will largely have to be redistributed within the
community.  That layer could make money.  Also, what about the parts they
aren't making for us?

I very much doubt LD will be all some people are hoping it
will be, but right now it is a unknown quantity.

I think it will be a huge step forward if it happens.  And I have every reason
to believe that it will.  I assume Brad Justus is being genuine and that things
are apace.  I'm excited by it.  But it won't be all things to all people.  And
if you look at the LUGNET plan it darn-near aims to be.

Chris