 Administrative / General / 4588
Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 05:11:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
[...]
Todd - I rarely invoke you directly :) - if I am assuming too much then
please let me know and I'll apologise for wasting everyones time!

I think you said it about right -- it's not wise IMHO to try to push people
into thing, but rather to be available to help set things up when the time
is right.

Further I'm not sure groups are the right way to go, perhaps a mailing list?

Yeah - a mailing list has the advantage that it's easy to set up, whereas
if you want private discussions in a newsgroup, then more development work
might need to be done! A group would have an advantage of acting as a
learning and reference resource though - email will get lost at least in
some cases, as people delete it, or don't save it to the correct folder etc.

I tend to think that anything which can't be discussed openly in an open group
probably shouldn't be being discussed in private groups anyway, so I wouldn't
see anything wrong with an open group for something like this, with of course
the option for people to take spin-off threads off-line as appropriate.  What
really makes me uncomfortable is the thought of a private mailing list or
group that only a few people could read or see or contribute to (especially
see).  Even a private group would need an archive (for legal reasons, at the
very least) and I would hate to see something that was once private suddenly
become public accidentally somehow (say, someone forwards something on purpose
or accidentally, or is disgrunted, etc.).  A group which is completely open
and publicly readable can't have anything to hide.

--Todd