 Administrative / General / 4596
Re: Self Organisation (Was: Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:02:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:

I get the feeling that:
a) Todd expects some form of LUGNET community regulation.
b) Todd is *waiting* for us to self-organise, in the spirit that such an
endeavour should happen as spontaneously as possible.

There's a problem with this.  The theoretical panel has to inherit "power" from
Todd.  Right now, Todd is the only admin.  Not only that, but he's the owner.
I'm sure we've all seen posts that read, "Well, I might not agree, but it's
Todd's sandbox."  Todd has all the perceived "power" [1].  Todd would have to
make it clear that this was an extension of his authority.

c) We are all a little too shy to start the ball rolling, in fear of stepping
on each others toes. Also we perhaps expect Todd to organise it for us, like
everything before.

See above.  It's the same kind of thing.  It's difficult to even conceive of
suggesting taking some of Todd's authority until he says he's willing to do
it.  Even then, it's up to him what form it will take, because it's his call.
We can make suggestions until we're blue in the face, but the form it will take
is ultimately up to him (even if his decision is "the most popular
suggestion").

d) Todd will implement whatever we decide, even if we make a bad decision.

That I seriously doubt.  A bad decision, implemented by Todd, could cause
Lugnet to perish.  And I don't think Todd's about to let that happen.

I'll start off by suggesting some groups - the concept is more relevant than
the group-names..

I think we should decide what form the "panel" is going to take, *then* decide
what new group/s are needed.

eric

1) All of this assumes that the posts in which Suzanne said she couldn't be an
active admin because of the conflict with MIT are still in effect.  There have
been posts that would seem to indicate this isn't necessarily true anymore, but
it hasn't been officially retracted.