 Administrative / General / 4547
4546  |  4548
Subject:
Self Organisation (Was: Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:30:58 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
[...] I say we've reached the point that we need some official word. • [...]

Your (b) sounded reasonable.

I would be willing to be on this panel.

Me too.

I did a bit of back-reading on this topic, especially:

<http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2360&t=i&v=a>

I get the feeling that:
a) Todd expects some form of LUGNET community regulation.
b) Todd is *waiting* for us to self-organise, in the spirit that such an
endeavour should happen as spontaneously as possible.
c) We are all a little too shy to start the ball rolling, in fear of stepping
on each others toes. Also we perhaps expect Todd to organise it for us, like
everything before.
d) Todd will implement whatever we decide, even if we make a bad decision. Not
that I think that would happen, as there isn't a shortage of intelligent people
here, and hopefully Todd would be one of those offering advice!

Note that these are just the impressions that I get, and are possibly entirely
squiffy. But even if I'm half correct then we are at an exciting juncture!

I'll start off by suggesting some groups - the concept is more relevant than
the group-names..

* /lugnet/admin/regulation/
  A general-access group to report and discuss, in public, percieved
transgressions and ramifications.

* /lugnet/admin/council/
  For the lugnet council members, those who actually vote on matters. This
would be a private group, for when/if it is inappropriate to discuss a
circumstance in public. It may be decided that all discussion should be public
- something to think about I guess.

* /lugnet/admin/voting/
  Another private-access group, actually - this would be cool as a page where
with a password and a click, council/committee members could create a vote
(Text string question, and multiple alternatives), or vote on an existing
issue. Initially though, this could be collated by less-tech means (news
posting, or circumvented altogether by voting by email).

I hope I haven't put words in Todds fingers, if I have then I didn't mean to -
again - IMEHO this is what *might* be happening.

Richard