 Administrative / General / 4605
Re: Self Organisation (Was: Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:16:30 GMT

Eric says that we can't wrest authority away from Todd.

Yes, I agree. However... If we come up with a clear proposal, well
thought out, that's workable and that allows for some veto by Todd in
extremis, I believe he will vest us with that authority.

It's premature to ask for authority before it's clear what is being
proposed (restating the obvious, I don't think anyone disagrees with
that)

Alternatively, Todd could make a proposal, and ask for feedback.

Richard's point is that it may be more powerful and we may have more
consensus if we develop it ourselves. I agree. But consensus needs a
facilitator. Look at how Jamabalaya went. That's a bit less mission
critical to Lugnet. A committee, even an organising committee, needs a
chair.

Not me, thanks, I'd rather sit back and take potshots. More seriously, I
don't have time to be chair but am willing to serve if asked.

I've been following this discussion with interest, it's very informative to
watch a community go through a growing pain (which Lugnet is currently doing,
IMHO), even a community I'm part of.

Mostly just stating that I strongly concur that there needs to be a central
organizer to this.  I think Larry could do, or Todd, or Richard, or any one of
a dozen other people.  Heck, even I could do it(1).  But IM(NS)HO, I suspect
that Frank Filz would bring the most level hand to it, and he *seems* to have
the time.

$0.02

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1:But like Larry, I don't have the time; nor will I do it if asked.(2)
2:Not that I'm likely to be.