 Administrative / General / 4587
Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 02:08:44 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38AF34B1.B4C22D8F@voyager.net>...
Richard Franks wrote:

Yeah - a mailing list has the advantage that it's easy to set up, whereas • if
you want private discussions in a newsgroup, then more development work • might
need to be done! A group would have an advantage of acting as a
learning and reference resource though - email will get lost at least in • some
cases, as people delete it, or don't save it to the correct folder etc.

Use something like onelist. The mails are available forever. (note, I
said something LIKE onelist... actually Todd has the technology to do
this, I think, without going outside his own sandbox)

I agree mailing list is the best way.

Perhaps we should start tossing more concrete ideas of how decisions will be
made, what kinds of things deserve action, and what kinds of penalties
should be invoked.

For decision making, I suggest consensus rather than a vote. The idea of
consensus is that a decision is reached that all find agreeable. This means
that if one person has a feeling that an over or under reaction is
occurring, then the group must respond to that. Of course if the group takes
too long to make a decision, or is unable to, Todd may step in and declare
an action by fiat. I think Todd should at least observe the panel
discussions, even if he isn't on the panel (perhaps he is a non-voting
member?). Of course Todd has ultimate override authority.

I think that if a panel member sees a serious violation, they should act
immediately, but then the whole panel needs to come to a consensus as to
whether to continue the action, or do something different.

I don't think the panel should generally be involved in legal type issues
(like IP law violations), unless the panel has an IP lawyer (not that Todd
is an IP lawyer, it is his sandbox, and he does have ultimate responsibility
for the whole thing, so he has to make decisions even if he can't make well
educated decisions).

I think panel discussions should be private, but there may be some things
which need to be aired in public, I would assume lugnet.admin.general is the
place to do so, but there might be cause for a separate group.

Frank