 Administrative / General / 4539
Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:46:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
[...]
I agree with Todd's current policy on cancels.  I think that publicly
pointing out that a post is incorrect (which ALSO ends up in the permanent
record of Lugnet) is all that is needed to make it clear that this is not
an appropriate post to newcomers.

What's more, it would actually serve as an *example*, whereas if they're
cancelled, they can't be reviewed.

I agree, and I also tend to think that forcing or recommending cancellation
of misplaced announcements would only encourage an increase in misplaced
announcements because the perceived damage (and thus the risk) is lower.

Plus, I think there would be plenty of people who would find it "all too
tempting" to post a misplaced announcement on purpose, then cancel it (with
or without apology), calculating that enough people might've seen it while
it was there to make it worthwhile (to justify the risk, that is).

--Todd