 Trains / 27131
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:43:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:
This is very important feedback.  Lets try an informal poll...

If 9V trains do get discontinued...

1.  Would your club disband or significantly cut back on public appearances?
(List your club and number of appearances)

2.  Are there any clubs that would continue to show using the new Battery
powered IR Trains?

3.  How tightly are 9V trains and your clubs survival tied together?

Having not actually used the new trains, some of this is conjecture.  Running
one for a weekend on a layout first will give me a better perspective.  But..

From what I have seen, I doubt they would be suitable replacements for the
existing system.  My main concerns revolve around total running time, how much
they can pull, and the fact that you can't leave an unattended display running
on a night/day or user-activated timer.

(We = Puget Sound Lego Train Club, doing between 4 and 6 shows per year.)

1: We would not disband or cut back right away.  In the long run (a couple of
years?), I would guess yes.  As motors burn out, we'd have to stop.

2: I fully plan on buying a locomotive to occasionally run along with the
existing trains, to get a second train on a single circuit.  But I don't see
these replacing the old trains.

3: If the battery trains have the expected limitations, the loss of the 9V
trains is likely the end of the club within a few years.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com