 Trains / 27108
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:49:37 GMT

Mark Bellis wrote:
1. I would not show LEGO trains in public ever again.  This is
because my trains are bigger than 8-wide, and I would be ashamed to
mislead the public by displaying an obsolete product.  I'm not
prepared to change my sales pitch from an explanation of LEGO trains
and where to buy them to an explanation of why TLG were discontinuing
9V trains.

Just a thought question from this: What do folks think about the fact that
almost every other model railroad displayed at a train show displays
obsolete, no longer available products? How about the American Flyer folks,
or the vintage Lionel folks? Do you think they should be ashamed? If not,
why is LEGO any different?

3a. My plan to start a new local LEGO club depends heavily on my
ability to maintain the supply of new 9V train equipment.  No 9V
trains, no club.  Period.

Wow. So your enjoyment of LEGO is so keyed to a specific product that if it
is no longer available, you can no longer have fun getting together with
other fans of that product?

I'm stunned at the doom and gloom.

Sure, it's a serious bummer that we may not be able to get new trains, and
anyone entering the hobby will have a hard time finding trains (but you know
what, probably 90% of the kids who would get sucked into LEGO trains as a
result of our displays would still get sucked in with the new trains, and I
bet a significant portion of them will be HAPPIER with the new trains).

There have been big changes.  Grey has hurt particularly Castle
builders (grey core materials), studless beams have challenged
Technic builders, but neither of these changes has been a complete
removal of product from sale - there has been an alternative, however
unpalatable.  I expect utter devastation in the trains community, at
least until there was a proper alternative to 9V, powered by a mains
transformer.  Batteries will not do.

So new greys are an alternative, but battery trains aren't?

What's amusing with all this "batteries will not do" is the number of garden
railroaders who are abandoning track power for battery power. Of course
G-scale trains have space for some pretty hefty batteries, but consider the
possibilities of a nice high tech rechargeable battery.

Frank