 Trains / 27117
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:

The feedback so far has been very helpful.  I would like to leave this open for
another week to allow other clubs to state their feelings.  I just don't want to
wait to long before stating our case.  So please post sooner rather than later.

-Eric

One more. Tim from RichLUG wrote:

If 9V trains do get discontinued...

1.  Would your club disband or significantly cut back on public
appearances?
(List your club and number of appearances)

No and no (at least not right away).  We only do about 3-4 public
appearances each year.  Amoung our group, we have a significant amount of
track, motors and controllers - enough to continue to run large layouts for
years to come.  That being said, I think the P.R. damage would come when we
would tell spectators at our shows that the materials are no longer
available.  I think that would seriously dampen the enthusiams of the
viewers and turn them away from exploring getting their own sets (i.e.
buying Lego).  We have had many repeat visitors to our displays tell us that
they went out and bought Lego (either for themselves or, more often, their
children) because they saw our layout.

2.  Are there any clubs that would continue to show using the new Battery
powered IR Trains?

Doubful although the key property of Lego is its versatility and
adaptability.  I'm sure there would be creative response to the IR trains.
As Rich said, at most, we would likely convert the IR trains to 9v trains.

3.  How tightly are 9V trains and your clubs survival tied together?

Survival is a pretty strong word.  Our club would continue.  Our enthusiasm
for trains might eventually wane.  Although the train clubs are a vast
minority of the Lego buying population, they are in the vanguard of Lego
"evangelicals", so to speak.  The amount and value of the free P.R.
generated by club appearances should not be underestimated.  Business
history teaches that when a company loses their most faithful customers,
their less faithful customers will soon follow.  I really can not see any
reason to discontinue 9v.  It's fine to add IR as an alternative but
senseless to kill off the 9v line (unless we are missing something and 9v is
just causing Lego to hemorage money).

Tim