 Trains / 27113
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:43:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz wrote:

What's amusing with all this "batteries will not do" is the number of garden
railroaders who are abandoning track power for battery power. Of course
G-scale trains have space for some pretty hefty batteries, but consider the
possibilities of a nice high tech rechargeable battery.

Frank

For what its worth this is one thing I have asked specifically about and have
yet to get an answer.  If there were a really good rechargable battery would
that make a differance.

My feeling is that it depends on the following.

1.  Pulling power of the battery powered motor.  (Can we run the trains that we
currently run).

2.  Cost.

3.  Recharge time

4.  Run time on a charge.

5.  Ease of use (how easy is it to switch out a battery pack.

Speaking as a fan, I would at aleast consider a rechargable battery option.
There is the "battery" stigma that is apparent when you do a show.  Batteries
are for toys and electric track is for serious hobbiests.  For me if the battery
pack was of significant quality and the motor was able to pull a significantly
long train for a significant time period then I *might* consider switching.

Of course I also don't like IR, RC would have been much better so that is a
consideration as well.

Also in terms of my club (NELUG) we would most certainly survive.  We would
probably continue doing train shows in the short term and our club viability is
in no way tied to 9V trains although it would be a great disappointment if they
are discontinued.

The feedback so far has been very helpful.  I would like to leave this open for
another week to allow other clubs to state their feelings.  I just don't want to
wait to long before stating our case.  So please post sooner rather than later.

-Eric