 Trains / 27109
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:13:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:

Ted,

This is very important feedback.  Lets try an informal poll...

If 9V trains do get discontinued...

1.  Would your club disband or significantly cut back on public appearances?
(List your club and number of appearances)

I asked other members of RichLUG to respond last evening so we could reach
consensus. So far Rich and Dustin have responded:

Rich - I don't believe that our club would disband over this.  If it was a
decision by consensus to use the new train and tracks as our primary train, I
would most likely not participate in anymore events.

Dustin - Since we only do 3 shows a year, I don't think we'd cut back right away
- I think we'd stock up from what's left and Ebay - and then see how our supply
gets used over the next 5 years..

Bert - We are a LUG not a LTC. However, our shows are “train shows” and we may
choose to discontinue shows. We also fill a display case once a year.In the past
we’ve hosted Lego Day at the public library and have put together over a dozen
displays at train shows. These free PR events may discontinue but we will
probably continue to meet monthly and build.

2.  Are there any clubs that would continue to show using the new Battery
powered IR Trains?

Rich - I for one would use the new trains minus the batteries and IR control. I
bought an IR controlled car from Lego 3 years ago and it was “not very good”.
IR should be left for controlling TVs and DVD players.  They don't even use that
technology in wireless controllers for the XBOX.  I also don't think that the
trains will meet our power requirements for the type of trains we run and for
the layouts we are planning to build.  Maybe if they had built a few more
descent looking trains before deciding to phase out 9 volt they may have sold
more and not decided to cut costs.
I also think it “is bad” that Lego is playing into something that the consumer
of these trains already has deemed a negative.  I don't know how many times I
have been asked buy the public at a show if there was a battery pack in the
train.  When I assured them that it was controlled just like any other model
train, they found that to be a comfort not a negative.  In short I guess my
answer is NO.

Dustin - I doubt it - I'm waiting to see how this works - I will buy the Cargo
Train when it comes out - and I will test just how far/good the IR system works
- I'm very concerned about it requiring line of site and thus large layouts
being a huge problem for this platform.  The concern of how longs the batteries
will last, how long of trains can the motor pull are huge concerns as well..

Bert – Never say never, but my gut feeling is no. I understand the limitations
of the 9V motor. I’ll see what Dustin’s IR Cargo Train is like. It sounds like
the IR system isn’t appropriate for shows so this question may be irrelevant.

3.  How tightly are 9V trains and your clubs survival tied together?

Rich - I don't know.  We are mostly a train club right now, but I would say we
have a lot of plans for nine volt in the future, and that what Lego is about to
provide would not be of much use for the direction we are going.  I would rather
use DCC to operate trains and turnouts remotely than use a limited IR system.
Maybe that should have outsourced the development of this like the new RCX
system.  They may have actually come up with something that made sense.  I am
sorry to rant on this, but I strongly believe that no good will come of these
new trains.  So I guess that our club is pretty closely tied to 9V trains.

Dustin - I wouldn't say it would be the end of the world...but I would think
that trains would be de-emphasized in our club...

Bert – I’m a big train enthusiast in our LUG and this would damper my
enthusiasim. Still, we’ve been together for 5 years now. We have discussed other
options for our LUG that don’t include public appearances. At least one member
of our group is burned out on public appearances.

I'll post more if other members of our LUG respond.

Thanks Eric!

I will take your feedback and put together a document that I will submit through
the channels I have open to me and we will see what happens.

-Eric Kingsley
LEGO Ambassador