 Trains / 27082
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:20:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:

  • No electric plates in years

These are apparently still available from customer support in Europe.

Ross-

Gee, I’ve despaired of getting any 9V electric plates for a long time. Last I look there were some in Spain or Hungary, but that was about it. I wonder how someone in the US places an order in France?

  • No Technic sets using 9V anything

The 8421 crane definitely uses the new 9V motor, and a new (apparently studless) battery box has appeared in some photos of the recently announced Technic sets, so I think 9V is still very much alive and well in Technic. Also 9V items are still available from LEGO Educational outlets.

Ross-

OK, so “almost no”. Certainly not in any post-Christmas Target sales that feed the BrickLink beast!

  • No new 9V train items

:(

  • A new Mindstorms that doesn’t use the existing 9V wire/battery/motor/ight system

Doesn’t *include* existing 9V system. Again, LEGO has announced a converter available from LEGO Educational that will allow old 9V motors and sensors to be used with NXT.

Ross-

That will make institutions that have bought a bazillion old motors happy.

  • All the train items on lego.com listed as not available or back ordered

Or discounted.

So while I agree things are looking bad for 9V trains, I think your conclusions about 9V Technic (and other 9V generally) are a little off the mark.

Ross-

My best judge of how the mainstream is going is to see what’s available in new condition on BrickLink. I find the fact that straight track is selling way over the per piece in a box price and that no one is dumping curve track fairly telling.

-Ted