 Trains / 27094
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:11:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:
This is very important feedback.  Lets try an informal poll...

If 9V trains do get discontinued...

1.  Would your club disband or significantly cut back on public appearances?
(List your club and number of appearances)

The GMLTC doesn't do too many appearances each year.  But, almost all our
appearances are at 'train events' - model railroading shows and at the Jackson
Street Roundhouse in St. Paul.  We consider ourselves model railroaders first,
and Lego builders second.  If we don't have trains, we probably don't do events.

2.  Are there any clubs that would continue to show using the new Battery
powered IR Trains?

No way.  Our 8-wide trains are too heavy for the battery powered trains, unless
Lego somehow pulls a rabbit out of a hat and makes them 10 times more powerful
than I expect they'll be.

Maybe one small loop of an IR train, just to show people what they look like.  I
thought of maybe using them in our subway, but knowing my luck the trains will
have an automatic shut-off (like the Duplo trains have) and it would stop
somewhere in the tunnel where I couldn't get an IR signal to restart it.
Besides, we want our trains to run all day long, not have to hit a 'go' button
every few minutes.

3.  How tightly are 9V trains and your clubs survival tied together?

9volt trains are the reason we HAVE a club.  See #1 above.

It is important that folks take this seriously and post honestly.  If you have
any other feedback in terms of how your club would be affected if 9V trains were
discontinued please share that as well.

I want an official answer from Lego as to the future of the train line.  At our
shows, we've been put into the position of being "the bad guys", explaining to
people that Lego is phasing out the current system (no pun intended) and
switching back to the plastic rails & battery power.  *Every* person we've
talked to at the last two shows (that's probably close to 10,000 people!) think
that's a bad idea.

LTCs are some of Lego's best advertising, and we're some of their biggest
customers...

JohnG, GMLTC