 Trains / 27105
Re: 9V Train Motor Being Discontinued?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:47:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:
If 9V trains do get discontinued...

1.  Would your club disband or significantly cut back on public appearances?
(List your club and number of appearances)

2.  Are there any clubs that would continue to show using the new Battery
powered IR Trains?

3.  How tightly are 9V trains and your clubs survival tied together?

It is important that folks take this seriously and post honestly.  If you have
any other feedback in terms of how your club would be affected if 9V trains were
discontinued please share that as well.

1. I would not show LEGO trains in public ever again.  This is because my trains
are bigger than 8-wide, and I would be ashamed to mislead the public by
displaying an obsolete product.  I'm not prepared to change my sales pitch from
an explanation of LEGO trains and where to buy them to an explanation of why TLG
were discontinuing 9V trains.

2. Some members of the Brickish Association might do, but I expect it would be
on a reduced level.  There would no longer be the same enthusiasm.

3a. My plan to start a new local LEGO club depends heavily on my ability to
maintain the supply of new 9V train equipment.  No 9V trains, no club.  Period.

3b. Many core members of the Brickish Association are trainheads, and there is
much associated building of scenery items, so it would leave a big scar.  The BA
would never be the same again.

There have been big changes.  Grey has hurt particularly Castle builders (grey
core materials), studless beams have challenged Technic builders, but neither of
these changes has been a complete removal of product from sale - there has been
an alternative, however unpalatable.  I expect utter devastation in the trains
community, at least until there was a proper alternative to 9V, powered by a
mains transformer.  Batteries will not do.

LEGO has always been both a toy and a serious building medium.  If TLG want it
to be just a toy, without adult fans, discontinuing 9V trains is a big step
towards that.

Eric, I hope you can see this as vitriol-free.  I did my best to keep it in!

Mark