 Marketplace / Theory / 1912
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:21:34 GMT

"Kyle D. Jackson" <flightdeck@sympatico.deletethisspamblock.ca> wrote in
message news:G7wG0z.E4t@lugnet.com...
Well, Adam, you can rant all you want, but there are certain risks, • costs,
and other things that yous eem not to care about, and these reasons are • why
some people choose not to ship outside of the US, and sometimes, I feel • the
same way, especially after reading some posts in this thread.

As far as I'm concerned people are free to choose where they will
ship to.  But here's how my shipping methods work in Canada.  Order
comes in, I measure up the sets stacked in the smallest volume
possible.  I have learned that *all* LEGO sets will have shipping
charged by volume and not weight because their density is so low.  The
"minimum density" that gets applied is an internation standard
so most all countries will calculate the effective weight the same
way.  I calculate this weight in all of 15 seconds..., no scale

Is that only for LEGO packed in the original boxes?  I've got a fair bit of
LEGO I'm sorting out and it weighs around 10kg, and it's in a box around
about 40cm by 30cm by 25cm but it's not MISB in original boxes - it's all
bagged, ready for me to send it wherever I want to send it.  When I had the
weight checked, Australia Post here never mentioned anything about volume
charges ...

is required.  I then use the Canada Post or UPS or whoever web
sites and look up the rates.  I am almost never wrong on the
cost when I get it all packed up and to the post office for
shipping.  Thus I can quote exact shipping costs to someone
in a few minutes before they even have to commit to an order.
And I've checked..., the USPS have all the same tables/calculators
on-line as well.  So I see no reason for people in the USA to
say shipping to international is "too hard" or whatever.

But again, everybody is free to do whatever they want  :]

Yes, but not all countries have postal rates you can use on them to
calculate shipping costs, so it's sometimes a case of take it to the post
office and see what they say.

As for Australia, I happen to know that Australia Post has shipping rate
tables for overseas shipping, covers air, economy air [1] and surface mail.
They even have a web form where you can put in what you know about your
parcel, and out comes an approximate cost.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

[1]  Often known in some countries as SAL or surface air-lift.  They use a
plane to get it from one shore to another, but it then goes by surface
instead of getting air freighted to the nearest capital city or airport near
the destination.