 General / 27131
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:20:43 GMT

Hi Alan,

I think you have to differentiate between registered letters and parcels. From
Germany, I can send registered letters and "small parcels under 2kg" to the
USA, however the product "insured parcel", i.e. for shipments over 2kg as well
as those being too large for a "small parcel", cannot be actually sent with
insurance to the USA. I don't know if it's the only country but I suppose it's
the only one of the industrialized ones. In order to actually insure it you
would have to send it as a high-value parcel, incurring extra fees and you have
to mark it with a proprietary seal. Also, high-value letters are also not
allowed.
Judging from past experience by myself and other local Lego fans, it seems that
USPS is at fault for long delivery times, as the packages seem to be leaving
Germany fairly quickly (you can phone the post office and ask for the current
status). In fact, a box I sent via surface mail seven weeks ago still has not
arrived. An airmail "small parcel" once took four weeks!

Regards,
Torsten