 Marketplace / Shipping / 334
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:18:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Torsten Fresemann writes:
In lugnet.general, Alan Demlow writes:
The green forms are a pain, yes,
Really? Why?
Contents: Lego toy set(s). value: whatever. gift: yes. signature. done.

My only real problem with the green forms is that many buyers ask me to fill
them out essentially dishonestly--to undervalue things, or to call something
a gift that they're paying cold hardcash for.
What's so wrong about checking the "gift" box? About declaring a lower value,
well, if the consignee accepts the risk of underinsurance, then why not? The
seller has nothing to lose or gain by putting a value which is not the actual
sale price. The customs duties in some countries can make quite a difference.

Well, some people probably feel that it is dishonest, because it *isn't* a
gift.  But even discounting that, in most countries, it's mail fraud, and
illegal.

I find it frustrating that many governments want a piece of the
action on a $25 or $50 sale of toys between private collectors, but I also
You're absolutely right.

think international buyers should either write it off as an unfortunate cost
I disagree - see above.

You're welcome to disagree, obviously, so long as you don't complain if your
goverment catches you and charges you.

picture).  Of course, we Americans are ones to talk--we can import $500 (or
more) worth of Lego without paying a red cent to the customs folks, as
Lucky you... ;-)

compared to 15% or so on merchandise items valued above DM50 sent to Germany,
Upto a declared value of DM 100 there's no duty.
Upto a declared value of DM 700 you have to pay a duty of 13.5%.
Above DM 700 the duty is 3.5% in addition to VAT of 16%.

and whatever the costs are in Canada (equally painful, if I recall
correctly--especially with the automatic CND5 "service charge" or whatever
they call it just to look at your package).
Indeed, I did not know this, but what a rip-off.

Somewhat.  The $5 CND that gets charged is a brokerage & processing fee to
assess the GST (federal tax).  I'll happily pay $5 instead of the $30 or $40
that UPS charges for the same service, or the $20+ that it would cost to go
through a brokerage firm.

Obviously, I'd just rather that I didn't have to pay it - and I'll grumble
about it as much as the next guy - but it's cheaper than anyone else around.

James