 Marketplace / Theory / 1901
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:49:20 GMT

(Trying to redirect it to the proper group!)

I find it annoying as well.

Now, now, Adam! ; )

And even if I ask nice enough, most people will
send me something, because I am in Canada.  It seems most people are • worried
about overseas selling.  I think that is understandable.  I have not and
most likely will no purchase from overseas.

It is a legitimate concern, especially when you are dealing with other
governmental entities.

What bugs me are the people who charge a flat out rate for international
shipping, say $4 US.  That's about $6 up here in Canada.  Then I receive • the
package, which is more like an envelope, and has a shipping charge of less
than $2.

Well, I charge flat rate shipping, because I have a hard time trying to
weigh several pieces of LEGO items, the bags, stuffing, and the box, and
trying to get an absolute number to charge. There are several additional
costs to the postage, like those envelopes, which run anywhere from 0.75 to
2.00 each, so that 4.00 you mentioned is justifiable, IMO. There are other
places that charge ridiculous amounts for shipping, like 8.00 ~9.00+ for a
twenty dollar order, so if you pay as little more than the shipping costs,
be glad. I make no money on shipping, let me assure you.

And I don't even want to get started on those green forms.  Gift,
merchandise, who really cares anyway.

It is a potential chargable offense, and it is a risk.

I still haven't figured out why it's
on there.  Most of the packages I get that are not marked gift, require • some
payment to be received from Canada Post, but not all of them for some
reason.  I don't get it.  I just try to avoid buying from the US when
possible.

Well, the Canadian government is trying to squish out competition and free
trade by putting charges on merchandise that comes in from outside of
Canada. The USPS requires custom forms to items to Canada if it is over a
pound. I do not know if it is a Candian or US regulation, I would assume it
is a Canada request.

Ending rant...now.

Well, Adam, you can rant all you want, but there are certain risks, costs,
and other things that yous eem not to care about, and these reasons are why
some people choose not to ship outside of the US, and sometimes, I feel the
same way, especially after reading some posts in this thread.

Scott S.
--
Want LEGO Elements at Great Prices?
Visit The Sanburn Systems Company