 General / 27096
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:41:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ronan Webb writes:
I'm fed up with this on ebay/brickbay.

What is it with you people ? Is your postal service that unsafe ?
Or are just (backward) children in a play-pen? Duh !
Grow up. You're not that fr*%^n central to the cosmos.
Each time I see 'Will ship to United States only'' ...

I can explain one of the main reasons quite clearly.

The small (low single digit) percentage of my former sales to international
customers did not justify the huge amount of time and effort it took to ship
things to them.

Am I losing sales by only shipping within the US?  Certainly.  Am I avoiding
wasting a lot of time on a very small return?  Certainly.

It has nothing to do with thinking we're the center of the cosmos or better
than you or anything else.  It is nothing more than a simple cost/benefit
analysis.  The small benefit I would receive in selling internationally is
most certainly not worth the large cost.  Nothing personal about it.
Doesn't mean I don't like you, don't think you're money is good, don't want
you to enjoy your Lego hobby as much as anyone else.  I'm just not willing
to jump through tons of extra hoops to do what you want.

Some sellers are - deal with them.

I'll continue to do what works best for me.  I get my boxes, labels, and
packing tape - all for free.  I don't have to stockpile random boxes, hoping
that I can fit some international order in a box that isn't so big that it
automatically goes at the highest rate, and only finding that out after I've
been paid too little.  I ate differences in international shipping costs
more than once - I won't do it again.

So I guess the ultimate answer for a lot of US sellers is - "it just isn't
worth it" to sell internationally.  Sorry if that bothers you, but it's the
truth.

Peace.